Sunday, December 17, 2006

Idle thoughts:

In a world of hateful commercial characters, "Joey" from H.H. Gregg is Number One for me. I can't even enter the place until this goofus is offed.

How bout that, the Browns played today. Oh, they lost, but weren't as putrid as normal. As if 0-for-11 on third downs and 68 yards rushing isn't putrid.

To the Ralph Lauren model in the full-page PD ad today: "Woof."

I am tired of getting three-star days in my horoscope.

Steve Carrell makes me laugh. Even a throwaway line like "...and we all know what all-inclusive means..." is hilarious to me. And sampling that James Blunt song from iTunes over and over without paying was pretty funny.

Since I can't get "Mr. Heat Miser" out of my head, we all must suffer:

"He's Mister White Christmas
He's Mister Snow
He's Mister Icicle
He's Mister Ten Below

Friends call me Snow Miser
Whatever I touch
Turns to snow in my clutch!
I’m too much!"

Cannot wait for the "Dexter" finale tonight.

Props to Knicks/ESPN announcer, Mike Breen, for not being a homer on his analysis of the Knicks-Nuggets brawl at MSG last night. Breenie said the fact the Nuggets had starters playing in the last minute of a blowout was a non-issue, a point the Knicks tried to offer as an excuse. He refuted the Knicks' Nate Robinson's comments about J.R. Smith showboating with a dunk, when Robinson was the guy who tried to showboat against the Cavs and missed a dunk a couple of weeks ago. And he called out both teams for not playing defense, Robinson for escalating the melee from the Knick perspective, and Carmelo Anthony for escalating on the Nugget side. Great recap.

I like Beck's new album. "Nausea", "Cellphone's Dead", and "Think I'm In Love" are very good tunes.

On the fifth day of Christmas, I can't seem to shake The Pretenders. Saw them live twice this week; freakishly turned on my radio, not once recently, but twice, to be greeted with one of their songs; and I saw the "Don't Get Me Wrong" video, with Chrissie as Emma Peel. So, here's more:

The Pretenders-"2000 Miles"



Meal of Links

Time's Person of the Year is You. Yes, You! Me, too. Where's my dinner? Where's my plaque? When is my interview aired?

I get scared looking at this. The most dangerous roads.

This is how "The Nine" failed. I never saw it.

Exercise Yard

Each time I believe Lennox Lewis will get better as a broadcaster, he takes about nine steps back. On Saturday's HBO "Boxing After Dark", he referred to Jason Litzau (an oddity, an American featherweight), at any given time, as "Litzco", "Litzcow", "Litchko", and "Litko". Having said that, Jason Litzau fought one of the dumbest fights I've seen in a while.

The problem I initially had with the fight was the unbelievable hype HBO was pouring on Litzau. Then he got dropped twice in the first, because he kept his left hand pretty low. Then he seemed to be in control for several rounds. Clearly the superior fighter, he could have probably gained a decision (he was up 68-64 on all cards), but he chose to slug it out and was kayoed in the 8th with a beautiful right hand by Jose Hernandez. Props to Hernandez for ignoring his insane corner who told him to jab before the 8th. Hello, we're losing! So, he went to the power, with which he had been successful all night and won. Good for him.

In the second fight, well, lately we haven't seen many boxers get sent to Queer Street (hey, it may be outdated, but Lennox said it twice), but Edison Miranda put Willie Gibbs there in a middleweight bout. I struggled liking Gibbs when entering the ring, because he wore a mask that reminded me of the Intergalactic Space Fairy. For 2:40 of the first, not much happened, then Miranda hit Gibbs with a right hand that knocked him silly and turned him around. He went down after a further flurry. To show how bad he was, he was on a knee, calmly waiting for the count of ten, as if he was OK, got up after 10, the fight was called, and poor Willie struggled to even sit down on his stool when he got to his corner. It's like he thought he was already sitting. I am in awe of the punching power of Edison Miranda. I'll try to find a video of the fight. Bring on Taylor.

The recaps are here.

Visitor

None, its Sunday.

No comments: