Sunday, October 15, 2006

Today was another meeting of the Single Losers Club. This is the hopefully more than semi-annual event where my Uncle and his wife take pity on us single types and provide us with a home-cooked meal. Shhhh. Don't let them know I can boil water, at least. Plus, I was able to channel Saint Francis and charm their dog into playing with me for the first time. You know you pet them in that spot right under the snout, around the neck, and they fall for that every time.

Today's menu was outta control good.

Dips were an eggplant-based one and a cucumber one.
Butternut squash (with a small spoon!)
Salad
Stuffed pork tenderloin
Stuffed cabbage
Mashed Potatoes with gravy
I think I'm forgetting something else from my plate
Lemon cake
Pumpkin pie
I didn't have the apple crisp thingy.

And I had some Jack Daniels before and aft and some wine during. Yes, I had wine and I didn't whine. No coffee though. That's bad for ya.

I may not eat for a week.

Meal of Links

Terry Gilliam's "Tideland" is completely shredded. This seems to be a universal sentiment. I mean this got NO stars. That's harsh.

Spending cash for a good cause is the idea behind Project Red. I designed a nice looking orange "Go Browns" Chuck Taylor high-top. I didn't buy it, I just liked playing with the colors.

By now. I'm sure everyone has seen Paul Robinson's gaffe for England last week. But just a reminder of whose mug shows up in the background.

"I like you English!"



Exercise Yard

HBO had another Boxing After Dark program last night. The best boxer no one knows, the unbeaten Welshman Joe Calzaghe, took on Sakio Bika at 168 pounds. Of course, it took place in Manchester, UK. Calzaghe was not at his best in the fight, and admitted afterward that his hand still hurt from an injury over the summer. It was an interesting fight from the standpoint that it was a brawl. You could tell in Round 1 there would be a clash of heads ("I want no naughties with the head."). Sure enough in Round 4, Calzaghe got cut. But he did enough to win a unanimous decision.

Highlights were Calzaghe's trainer, Enzo, his father, dropping f-bombs as if he lived in "Deadwood". I hate showboating in boxing and finally after 4 rounds of this, Enzo finally asks Joe, "What the fuck are you doing out there?", telling Joe his showboating was the reason he got cut. Thanks, Dad! Bika threw three punches after the bell in a round; got a point deducted for a head butt; rabbit punched Calzaghe, while Calzaghe's upper body was through the ropes in another; delivered a low blow in the last; and did a lot of nasty things. Not exactly the Marquis of Queensbury out there.

Next up for Calzaghe might be a US fight among Jermaine Taylor, Winky Wright, or the big payday against Bernard Hopkins. Or a bout with Mikkel Kessler to unite the titles.

Visitor

None, it's a crisp, bye week Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BORAT BORAT.....he's everywhere he's everywhere ------JMK

Anonymous said...

the missing item on your plate was baked apples - you gotta keep the doctor away!