Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I went to see "The Last King of Scotland" at the Crocker Park Regal. Almost a private viewing--5 in attendance. Forest Whitaker was unbelievable as Idi Amin. Almost impossible to be over the top with that character, because Amin was so over the top. Nice touch of having some actual footage of Amin at the end. Sometimes we forget how evil this guy was.

James McAvoy stars as a young doctor from Scotland who heads to Uganda to get as far away from his doctor father as he can. Figures he'll have a great time there, and through some lucky circumstances he ends up as Amin's personal physician. The story deals with the compromises he makes while Amin is starting his killing rampage of Ugandan citizens. When he left power in 1979, Amin had murdered 300,000 people. Agent Scully was briefly in the movie and I didn't even realize it was her until her second scene. Must have been the tan. Needless to say, I loved this movie. I'm sure the facts were distorted in some ways because this was based on a book of fiction, but they hooked me early on and I didn't really care. Whitaker is a surefire Oscar nominee.

Meal of Links

The PD finally announced the names of the newsroom staff who took buyouts. Roger Brown and Bob Dolgan are gone. No great loss there. I'll miss Burt Graeff. I fear Bob Roberts departure seals the end of horse racing coverage and that bothers me greatly. Foodie John Long is leaving. I think the big losses are editors Chris Jensen on autos and David Molyneaux on travel. Especially Jensen, he is one of the best out there. Over 50 and 20 years in, you got 2.5 years pay with health coverage. That's great stuff.

As Best Friend and others can attest, my wildass gesturing might lead to a spilled drink on someone now and then. And it does make me really angry. But I've never gestured wildly enough to cost myself 91 million dollars.

Christopher Glenn died. For those of us who watched CBS on Saturday mornings, this guy was the voice of "In The News". And he did news broadcasts on CBS Radio. Great set of pipes.

Exercise Yard

How ESPN Mobile failed after only 8 months. Really good read.

Visitor

61 Across: Mustachioed Spanish painter (4 letters) Answer: Dali

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on Roger Brown and Bob Roberts. Now with his free time, maybe Rog can write Sharon Reed's scripts. Bob was thee MAN for coverage for Northfield Park and Thistledown. Now who will tell us that on Friday night, Griz and Aaron will win 6 races each and Charlie "Live" Wyers will come in a 50-1 shot. He will be missed. A huge loss for Cleveland's degenerate gamblers like myself.

Anonymous said...

Word is Roger Brown and Ronnie Duncan are going to write a tell-all book on how Eric Wedge and Dan Gilbert are racists, which led to their demise.

Anonymous said...

I noticed Roger Brown was in this weeks Scene--------JMK