Thursday, October 05, 2006

As some of you could probably tell, YouTube was messed up for about a week or so and did a massive video dump here today. But it looks like problem solved and it's back in bidness.

Today was my brother's birthday, so to celebrate, my Dad and I (my brother was rewarded with childsitting) went to Das Schnitzel Haus. I don't know German, but I'm guessing that means "The Schnitzel House".

The place was jammed, because they serve clambake dinners from Thursday through Saturday. People piggin' out all over the place. The bar is small, has some nice selections on tap, and the decor is early Eichmann. But, oh man, the portions were huge! And were really good. I opted for an outstanding veal schnitzel sandwich and potato pancakes. Box, please. My Dad opted for the pork chops. Of course, we each had about a pound of fries that went to waste. Overall, a tasty meal and a good value.

The beauty about dinner with Uncle Joe is there is always time for a joke. I keep telling him we are going to have a box with a key at his grave like the zoo. That way you insert the key, select which joke you want to hear, then listen. Today's joke is so old, Augie Bossu was young when it was told.

My Dad worked on the East Side when he was younger, and there was one guy that wouldn't stop talking about Benedictine football. On and on, he went. How great Benedictine was, they could do no wrong, etc. Finally, my Dad had enough. He told the guy that Benedictine was good because they could recruit from such a wide area. Of course, that was more taboo in those days, and the guy said they didn't recruit. My Dad insisted they did and, as a matter of fact, they recruited a new running back from France. The guy didn't believe him, but, after a while, finally asked who it was. My Dad told him it was the great French ballcarrier, Jacques Strop. The guy got mad and didn't talk to him for a long time.

Meal of Links

I don't make many commitments. But I was committed to "Kidnapped". NBC didn't reciprocate.

Looks like a beautiful day for a nuclear test. Kim Jong Il cancels his tee time for Sunday.

Beat stress. Drink tea.

Video of the Week

This should have been last week's video, it is "Comfortably Numb" from Live 8. Let's get right to the things to look for: Waters voice is shot. Gilmour’s voice still holds up, although he looks like the love child of Dr. Evil and Michael Keaton. I like Gilmour's little arm wave when he says his hands felt like two balloons. Is that my future wife on backup vocals? Lots of smoke near the end. And the boys all pose for pictures before they walk off.

Pink Floyd from Live 8-"Comfortably Numb"



Bonus Video of the Week

The Brothers Mael, Ron and Russell, led Sparks to a truly unique style at the time. Much more than a novelty act, I wondered why this band was not more popular. This is so much like a Queen song, it’s scary. But it’s them at their best. Things to look for: Russell appears to have arrived straight from a ski lodge. The Roxy Music graffiti on the wall. Ron looking much like a famous German we know. The brief shots of the couple at the side of the stage looking bored. This was before Ron changed the word “Roland” to “Ronald” on his Roland organ.

Sparks-"This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us"



Exercise Yard

Be sure to catch Michael Schumacher in his final F1 races this month. Japan late Saturday, then Brazil in two weeks.

Visitor

52 Across: "Four Quartets" poet (7 letters) Answer: T.S. Eliot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You probably don't know but I have a Sparks 2cd retro.Another group with great album titles such as Kimono My House and A Woofer in Tweeters Clothing.Remember the year when they were on AB and they chased each other with inflatable hammers.They also released new material this past year.------JMK