Thursday, August 17, 2006

Last night, I ventured over to HOB with S. to see Chris Isaak. He's a pretty good entertainer, evidenced by the back of one of his guitars that read "Thanks a lot". His band has been together for 20 years and it shows. A very cohesive unit and they play around a lot. They even had a "guitar army" thing going. Starts off the show with some up-tempo stuff. Then slides into the "rock portion" of the setlist. Little stage rearrangement and the acoustic songs come out. Then he closes with some more fast tunes. He was on his way to NYC to co-host "Regis and Kelly" today.

The sound was really washed out though. Probably the worst I've heard at HOB. But he disposed of "Wicked Game" pretty early. Did a bang up job on "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing", which is one of my favorites. And also on "Somebody's Crying". Had a little Elvis tribute on the anniversary of his death with some "Don't Be Cruel" and did a cover of "I Want You to Want Me", which provided a respite from my Cheap Trick jones.

However, I was able to partake of many alcohol groups. Bourbon, beer and the discovery of the evening, the Moscow Mule. This is ginger beer with vodka and some limes. Madre de dios, is that good! However, they were $10 a pop. I repeat...$10 a pop. Seem to have had way too many of them when the bill arrived. Whoops.

Meal of Links

Several of us went to see "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" at the Palace. It holds up pretty well. I had not seen it quite sometime and it made me laugh quite a bit. There was a guy with a unique laugh behind me that just set me off at times. The short was a Three Stooges clip, so that was right up my alley.

But I have to mention Otto Moser's, where the service was really slow. The bartender would ignore most of her customers for minutes on end. I knew I was in trouble when it took me about 5 minutes for my first beer. The food was OK, I had an open-faced roast beef with undone fries, but the drink service was abysmal. This urban individual sat next to me and he waited even longer for his first beer. I was gonna ask him if it reminded him of Denny's, but I didn't know how he would react. The bartender must be one of those who relies on her 4 or 5 regulars where she can spend time with them and then drink with them. Amazing.

O.J. told us we'd find the real killer. Unfortunately, it was the creepiest guy you'll see all year, and it was the JonBenet murder.

There is a Fantasia movie. Yes, the "American Idol" Fantasia. And she acts in it, even though I thought she was a singer.

Exercise Yard

Formula One returns to Indy for one more year. It's a shame if that race disappears from the circuit.

Visitor

1 Across: Winningest lefthanded pitcher (5 letters) Answer: Spahn

No comments: