Tuesday, July 04, 2006

"I hate the firework", but I've emerged from my spider hole to wish everyone a Happy Fourth of July.

Last night, while attempting to watch the Indians game at Instant Replay, I noticed they had the trivia games from Buzztime. Uh-oh, mental crack. See, I had been clean, effectively off the game for several years. Oh, I had a Jones every once in a while, but had been able to set it aside. Then last night, I did it. I asked for a playmaker. They dusted one off for me. I placed it in front of me, rubbing my fingers together, synapses firing. Neglecting my old handle, so as to not to tip my hand to the legions of folks out there wondering where I had disappeared to and those clamoring for my return, I selected the anonymous, "MRMOTA", a tip of the hat to our own Guillermo Mota and a sly reference to "Mr. Moto", to enter the proceedings.

I stumbled into a game with five of fifteen questions already gone, essentially spotting the field a maximum of 5000 points. Question number six was who starred in the original "Father of the Bride"? I had just finished entering my name and was able to get 598 points for Elizabeth Taylor. Then in a streak, as if I'd been playing not weekly, but daily for years, I proceed to rip off 8 answers in a row for full credit, essentially lapping the field. Oh, I was on fire. Didn't matter what type of question. Julia Roberts new play? Knew it. Title of Goo Goo Dolls new album? Knew it. Yogi Berra played what position? Are you kidding me? Then the next game, I got the first 5 correct. Then played miserably, but still won, with over 10,000 points, thanks to two bunnies at the end.

Then the big kahuna game of the night, Sports IQ. Jeezy creezy, was this hard. I went 10-for-10 in Round 1, which was cake. Omigod, the boxer, Calvin Brock, was even an answer in one of the rounds. But I was able to eke out a 17th place nationally, almost doubling the nearest guy locally. Then I came home and had the shakes for several hours.

Meal of Links

I ventured over to the Cedar-Lee yesterday to see "Wordplay". It was a look at the world of crossword puzzles. I think I'm pretty good at them, but I have never, ever, TIMED MYSELF doing one. Where is the enjoyment in doing a puzzle in 2 minutes, 1 second? But I liked the movie. I do the puzzle every day, except Sunday, which is bloated and overrated. It's got a crack-like hold over me.

Gale and I went to Johnny Mango this a.m. Hey, no brunch, WTF? But I was able have those quesadillas I love. And I tried one of those fizzy drinks they have. Sort of a melon, lime, sodie thing. Not bad. Caramel cookie dough ice cream, as well. Uh-oh. More crack.

Kobayashi almost meets his match. Think how long it takes you to eat 54 hot dogs. Months? Years? They do it in 12 minutes. It must be like crack.

World Cup Photo of the Day

















"Forza Azzurri!" I think I like her cra-

Exercise Yard

Speaking of sports crack, we went to the Old Angle to see Italy defeat Germany, 2-0, in Extra Time at the World Cup. They did not open up the kitchen, but served beer and had hot dogs. Probably as many as Kobayashi and that other guy had in 12 minutes. Easily, the Old Angle's biggest crowd of the tournament. Imagine. It was packed. On a holiday.

Anyhow, it was maybe not a great game, but certainly a great finish. Italy continues its mastery over Germany and avoided Penalty Kicks, where its record is not so good, by protecting its Extra Time record, which is very good. Germany weeps like Cleveland sports fans, as Buffon, the Italian keeper, has still not given up a goal by an opponent.

Visitor

27 Across: Two-time U.S. Open champ Andre (6 letters) Answer: Agassi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told Jerry about your foray into Sports IQ and he said we need all of the help we can get and then I derailed his enthusiasm when you said how brutal the game is. JMK