Thursday, June 29, 2006

I was listening to Bob Dylan's show on XM at lunch today and realized I failed to mention how good his "Theme Time Radio Hour" is. The premise of the show is that Dylan has a theme for the week, spins some thematical songs, splices in a few cuts from movies, comedy or TV, and provides some commentary of his own. He may choose to read a lyric before or after he plays a song and usually drops in a tidbit or two about the artist. The really strange thing is to hear him crack some funny lines. I even heard him say, "Shit happens" during this week's theme, which was "Divorce". All of his Playlists, thus far, are documented here.

With this week's theme of "Divorce", the choices were heavy into country and blues and that makes for some really good listening. Of course, we got to hear Tammy Wynette and George Jones. He actually played Jerry Reed's "She Got the Goldmine, I Got the Shaft". I had not heard that one in a long time. T-Bone Walker, Hank Snow and an Ernest Tubb/Loretta Lynn duet were represented. Lefty Frizzell with that great lyric, "You're free from my name, dear, but you can't divorce my heart." Dylan also threw in a funny when he said Lefty was credited as saying, "When I got divorced, my wife and I split the house...I got the outside." Merle Travis was also on with "Divorce Me C.O.D.". Merle wrote "Sixteen Tons" AND "Smoke That Cigarette", what a talent. I thought the best was June Christy's "Love Doesn't Live Here Anymore". Man, that was torchy.

Meal of Links

More on Dylan. His XM show on Baseball made it to the Baseball Hall of Fame archives. And Bobby is doing another tour of the ballparks, actually making it to Cooperstown on Labor Day weekend. He'll be in Columbus on August 13. His new album drops August 29th.

The new Superman actually pulled a Vanilla Ice. "Quit datin' the zero and get with the hero."

BTW, I heard the old Peaches & Iggy Pop's "Kick It" this morning. That'll keep you occupied when in traffic. Iggy: "I heard you like kinky shit." Peaches: "That just depends who I'm with."

World Cup Photo of the Day
















Portugal-England play Saturday at 11:00. Mmmmm, beer.

Exercise Yard

The Cavs draft has been rated highly by most everyone. Shannon Brown and Daniel Gibson were excellent picks.

Visitor

43 Down: Lover of Escamillo, in opera (6 letters) Answer: Carmen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God Bless you AND the girls of the World Cup. Keep up comin' ( so to speak...)