Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I'd like to thank everyone for the birthday greetings and thoughtful gifts over the last several days. Don't know what I did to deserve such neat family and friends, but a major tip of the hat to all. It's humbling to be in such good company, even if I like a low-key birthday.

Since "What did you get?" is always a major question around these times, a few things stuck out. My brother coming through with some nice apparel, although my favorite niece doesn't know that word and called them t-shirts. I got books as well, can you believe it? Gale coming through with two awesome cards and the Clemente bio plus food! Big ups to Best Friend who came through with not only Hawaii items, but "Rugby Plane Crash in Andes" book, and the best gift one could hope for...an olive spoon! Which I will use to feed my imaginary dog that the neighborhood will learn to beware of, as the sign on my door soon indicates.

Meal of Links

Liz Taylor says, "I don't have Alzheimer's.". Then she thanked Jack Paar for having her on his TV show.

End of the Katie Couric era on "Today". Hilarious at the conclusion, as she kisses Matt Lauer, then Al Roker, but Ann Curry has to horn her way in there for a smooch. God, that woman is unbearable to watch.

This could be the last Taylor Hicks item for a while. Jeezy creezy, I already changed my mind. While doctors ponder what to do with the boy with three arms think of the possibilities for his future. Think what he could with semaphores, or hitchhiking, or churning butter.

Exercise Yard

Religion in sports is always a dicey topic. I'd like to think God is a sports fan, but being the Commissioner of All, it precludes him from rooting for one team or another. I doubt that he cares who wins. And I'd like to think there's more important issues for Him to deal with. Like wars and stuff.

But two items caught my eye recently, regarding Christianity and sports. One about Phil Savage, the other about the Colorado Rockies. It seems both are becoming more comfortable professing their Christianity. That's OK. But if you're successful, don't hand me any "God is on our side" drivel. Because it begs the question when you're in last place, "Where is your God now?"

Visitor

50 Across: FLIP (14 letters) Answer: Funnyman Wilson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kudos to t-shirt hell and the humor us store at the river platz in frankenmuth for making the shopping so easy---------------------------------------- jmk