Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Step away for a bit and lots of things come to mind.

First of all, I see that Larry the Cable Guy has a new movie out. I have learned to really dislike this guy. I don't mind lowbrow (suited monkeys, anyone?), but this guy's act strikes me as being quite stupid. But can someone explain why in this movie, he's not a cable guy, but a health inspector? It would be as if Dracula looked the same, but acts like Frankenstein. I don't git it.

I also like saying, "Hello, Moto". Thought I'd sneak that in.

The State of Ohio has provided me with a PB (Personal Best) in supplying me with my tax refund check. Incredibly, I got the check 10 days after I submitted the return. Obviously, e-filing helps, but damn, that was quick.

I have in my hands a survey from our friends at the Ohio Turnpike Commission. Sure, it asks the obvious questions about length of time to get through the toll booth, is it easier one way versus another, etc. But the crux of the survey for me were questions pertaining to some sort of "E-ZPass" they might be considering. Keep in mind, I already have the Ready Toll card where you don't have to search for coin every day. You still have to give a toll worker your card and ticket and they swipe the card and send you on your way. Fairly archaic, I'd say. Having said that, here are the actual questions regarding electronic methods and my responses. They want you to check Likely, Somewhat Likely or Not Likely to use (my choices are obvious):

1. Insert ticket and an Ohio Turnpike Ready Toll Card into a self-service toll payment machine similar to a bank ATM. (ARE YOU KIDDING?)

2. Insert ticket and a debit/credit card (VISA, MasterCard, AMEX or Discover) into a self-service toll payment machine similar to a bank ATM. (COME ON!)

3.Use an elctronic transponder (E-ZPass, iPASS, etc,) with a prepaid amount. (WELCOME TO THE TWENTIETH CENTURY)

Idiots, I tell you.

Last night finished my tour of duty with the NCAA Women's Regional. Before and aft HQ turned out to be Flannery's. And since it wasn't St. Pat's, we didn't see anyone urinating oustide their windows. However, I happened to have my ears open and heard about their operations. They are owned by MRN Ltd., which we knew, who happens to own most of the East 4th block these days. Flannery's itself is being run by Trifecta Management Group and they have done a decent job of upgrading the TVs and the menu. You may recognize the Trifecta name because they are the group that is going to operate the bowling alley on 4th when that opens. Not just any lanes, but the kind Uncle Joe likes. You know, black lights, volume-turned-to-15 rock music, and martinis.

Meal of Links

How did we not hear that Nikolai Volkoff is running for a Maryland state office? "USA hack-ptooey." OK, that wasn't him, but he would have said it, if the Iron Sheik hadn't beaten him to it. Sounds like he has to reject his past.

"Arrested Development" finally passes away. So sad.

("Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over-an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

"You must teach me, George Michael. You must teach me the ways of the secular flesh."

[Tobias has painted himself blue]
Tobias: "I blue myself."
Michael: "There has got to be a better way to say that.")

Call him Sir Tom Jones from now on. I think he's getting together with the Tower of Power horns on a tour. I thought last year's horn section provided a pretty nice gig for that bunch.

Exercise Yard

North Carolina beat Tennessee last night to advance to the Women's Final Four. The Tar Heels completely flummoxed Tennessee and thank God, that kept "Rocky Top" under wraps for the most part. After watching three games up close, I have cracked the code regarding women's college hoops. Find a point guard who doesn't make as many mistakes as your opponent's point guard. That's why Ivory Latta and North Carolina have lost only one game this season. Sure, she makes mistakes. But maybe 10% of the time, as opposed to the other point guards who commit awful plays at about a 25% rate.

Most point guards have the ability to drive the lane. But what happens after that is the most frustrating aspect of the women's game. They get caught down low and have absolutely no clue where the ball is going next. Except for Latta, who always seems to find a teammate. Not just any teammate, but someone who is open and can do something after getting the ball. I can't count how many times I saw someone drive the lane, get caught airborne or after picking up their dribble, deliver some wildass shot over their head or try to pass through a human forest to their teammate. The pass would either be deflected and not reach the intended target or the spacing was so bad, the drive and subsequent pass would draw the defense to the teammate and result in nothing. There you have it, coaches, free advice.

Visitor

62 Across: He played Signor Emanuel Ravelli in "Animal Crackers" (9 letters) Answer: Chico Marx

No comments: