Sunday, February 05, 2006

Yippee, today is Super Bowl Sunday, America's National Holiday (or should be). The game is secondary to all the social activity that takes place, especially since it doesn't involve the Browns. For the XLth time. It's the type of day you wake up talking to yourself. Muttering things like "65 Toss Power Trap", "I guarantee we'll win the game." and "Ya feelin' me?". By far, the best day of the year if you love football. And I do.

I keep getting sucked in by the NFL Network and NFL Films stuff leading up to the game. I heard Terry Bradshaw say if he could ask anything of God, it would be one more time to give him the ball with two minutes to go, three timeouts left, and get in that huddle with everyone's eyes as wide as saucers to hear him call the play. I start getting chills. Happens every time. I am an idiot.

Game Predictions:

Heath Miller scores the first TD.

I will attempt a Mick Jagger imitation and it may not be at halftime.

John Madden will say something that makes zero sense. Madden Proposition Bets!

I will drink beer.

The parents of Jerome Bettis will be shown 6 times.

I will sing "Sweet Shaun Alexander" to the tune of "Sweet Home Alabama", a current Seattle song, during the game. "Thirty-seven jersey blue".

I will make a comment about Brooke Burke.

Pittsburgh wins, 27-13.

Meal of Links

JB is leaving Fox's pre-game show. It's musical chairs. Greg Gumbel goes back to play-by-play, where he should re-team with Phil Simms, one would hope. Bonnie Bernstein leaves CBS. Al Michaels probably goes to NBC, where Andrea Kremer ends up.

From the "No shit?" files: Oddly enough, the Super Bowl Squares that pay off the most are 7 and 0. I won one with the Bears a while back because of a safety.

We eat a lot during the Super Bowl.

All of today's Super Bowl XL Proposition Bets. I like "Will there be a score in the first 6:27?" and "over/under on how long the first punt will be". Answers: No and longer than 41.5.

Exercise Yard

Went to the Cavs-Sixers game last night. I got to bask in the glory of the play of Allen Iverson. I love A.I. and he came through for me. He had missed some games lately and he is just so tough. He only had 34 points. Even Chris Webber contributed last night and Sam Dalembert cane through with a nice game. LeBron had 31 of the quietest points you'll ever see. Quite the amazing player.

Things only I would note:

I spoke with Mark Shapiro before teh game. Not the Indians guy, but the cameraman.

Nice touch by having a youth introduce both teams last night. It saved us from Ronnie Duncan, but it really is a cool idea. I've seen that at San Francisco Giants games and it's a blast to get the kids involved. And he did a helluva job.

The little girls love Anderson Varejao. As soon as he gets off the bench, it's Beatlemania with all of the screaming. I believe it was a Strongsville contingent behind us that got all hot and bothered.

There is a tall white guy on the Cavs. I have not one clue who he might be. Not sure I want to know.

The female ref is still in the league. And she's still bad.

Remember when Dorfman's picture came on the screen in "Animal House" and everyone threw stuff at it and booed? Well, Jim Tressel is the anti-Dorfman. He shows up on the scoreboard and the place goes nuts. Not sure what he said, but it was another excuse to play "O-H-I-O". Of course, I changed it to "A-I-Let's-Go".

Larry Hughes had a nice sportcoat on. After a timeout in which a sweaty Cav sat in his seat, I noticed him instruct an attendant to wipe his seat down. It made me laugh.

Redheaded Cavalier Girl is muy caliente.

Nice seats that Dan Gilbert put in at the Q. And notice how quiet he's been lately.

When Les, "The Beer Guy", comments on how good your seats are...well, that's affirmation, my friend. Last time we saw Les in action was at U2. Some random commented then that if you know the Beer Guy's name, you drink way too much.

"The Diff" confirms the dumbing down of America.

I realize the Scream Team has some talent. But if I had to choose between half-naked women dancing and a few young people doing outdated break dancing moves, I'll opt for scantily clad each time.

Hot dogs, and I had zero, are now $4.25 at the Q.

It started off loud before the game, but overall, I don't think it was that bad.

Visitor

None, it's Super Bowl Sunday.

No comments: