Saturday, January 14, 2006

"People say, 'When you make it to the NBA, don't forget about me.' I feel like telling them, 'Well, if I don't make it, make sure you don't forget about me.' "
-- William Gates, in the final scene of "Hoop Dreams"


I got home from work yesterday and what was on IFC? "Hoop Dreams"! I had not seen it in a while and it remains one of the top 5 sports films ever. I remember Siskel and Ebert (Roger's review) being outraged that it was not nominated for the documentary Oscar that year. The academy seems to have gotten over the bias against popular documentaries, but at the time, they ignored "Hoop Dreams". If you haven't seen it, it is well worth the three hours, as it really sucks you in. The scene where Gates opens up the envelope to see his ACT scores, so he can attend Marquette, man, it's like someone from your own family making it, it's really that good.

Meal of Links

The Golden Globes are on Monday night. Always a good show, because alcohol is served.

We're dropping bombs all over the place these days. Washington is currently playing the Sergeant Schultz card.

Things Her Boyfriend Says.

Exercise Yard

The weekend's NFL picks: Seahawks, Patriots, Colts, Panthers. Seattle has more offense and a better defense than most people credit them. Can't bet against the Pats til they spit the bit. As Coach Ditka said before their first matchup: "The Steelers secondary cannot cover the Colt receivers, and they know that." I love John Fox and the Panthers will prevail and don't forget, the Browns actually beat the Bears, and I know the Browns and I assure they're no Carolina Panthers.

Visitor

47 Down: Twerp (6 letters) Answer: Weenie

No comments: