Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A tip of the hat to the folks at Scene and the Free Times for getting their respective editions online much sooner than they had been. Sometimes I can't get a hardcopy and I was getting irritated that the online version was old news (Free Times, especially) by the time I'd get to it. The last several weeks they have been online quickly.

Having said that, the Free Times wasted a lot of ink with the cover story on Vonda Ward. Let me say I am one of the dying breed who actually watches fights on TV. And I've seen some live events, as well. I saw Ward fight two years ago at the Gund, and she was awful. Oh, she had some sort of belt that was sanctioned by God knows who, but that was strictly because of her competition or lack thereof. I don't like awful bouts and unfortunately for female boxing, almost all of the bouts are subpar.

If she ever fights Laila Ali, I'd watch, but I just can't see that being an even match. And I'm a guy who supports the locals, but in this case, it's tough to do.

Meal of Links

Jimmy Page gets an OBE for charity work. For a treat, listen to Zeppelin's older stuff to remember what a virtuoso he was.

We know about the shortage of nurses in the US. But we tend to overlook the lack of school nurses.

Lots of controversy surrounds free Wi-Fi for New Orleans. BellSouth allegedly withdrew an offer to house police HQ in one of their buildings, because of the competition. This is one of the few services that the city can activate quickly, unlike basic gas, water and electricity functions.

Exercise Yard

The story of the Redskins' Antonio Brown and why he was blowing all those kisses to the crowd when he scored the other day. An unbelievable example of perseverance.

Visitor

17 Across: Shortstop who won 13 Gold Glove Awards (10 letters) Answer: Ozzie Smith (not Omar, who has 12 letters and 10 Gold Gloves)

No comments: