Sunday, November 20, 2005

Randomness from today's Browns home game:

Gale was today's special guest. Browns Version 2.3 has to make up for last Sunday night's debacle against the Steelers, where they were manhandled for most of the game. The opponent: The Miami Dolphins in a "Squish the Fish" special.

The weather for November was fantastic. Plenty of sunshine and temps in the mid-fifties. Actually, it was great to steal a nice day this late in November.

Today's giveaway: Don't have to worry about this anymore, it isn't happening.

Not many smells today. Mostly the Miami offense and the area under the Shoreway on West 3rd had a slight pungent odor.

The Browns did what they needed to do to win today. Big time run by Reuben Droughns out of the gate ("Run, Reuben, Run"). Only one INT and that was from Charlie Frye, but it wasn't his fault. Braylon Edwards got the damn ball and did a lot. Defense played well, but the Miami offense stunk. To show you how out of it I was, I thought Gus Frerotte was playing the whole game, until he actually entered the game late in the third quarter. The immortal Sage Rosenfels was quite awful as the Miami starter.

The G.E. Smith Band (my favorite) was there. Might be the last year for the boys, as they typically get shorter and shorter shrift as the calendar progresses.

Tame crowd in Section 345. Except for the guy a few rows back who decided to pee in the stands.

Best exchange. Fan cam showed an African-American wearing a brown afro wig. Gale: "I hope that's a wig." Me: "I hope that's a guy."

Best line from me (after the game at Fox and Hound): "Oh, look. They have six barbecue sauces that could describe me at any given time. Why they have Sweet & Bold, Mild, Gold, Hot & Spicy, and Classic." I forgot the last one, too many beers.

Best line from a random (TIE): "I gotta take a poop." and "All of a sudden the guy behind me says what's that noise? It sounds like someone peeing."

Oddest Browns jersey: Damn, there was one that stuck out, but I forgot that, as well. I'll have to go with the Dolphins: 26 L. Smith.

Best shirt: I liked my Pearl Jam shirt today. "9 out of 10 kids prefer crayons to guns." Yes, I have fun, while sending a message.

No in-game purchases for me. Gale got me a pretzel and I think I hogged most of her popcorn.

The Village Idiot, Jeff Tanchak, had microphone problems for his bit. Again! The best item about him was on 19 Action News this morning, when Sharon Reed covered her coffee because Tanchak was nearby. She said, "You know how I am about germs, and well, you were spraying."

Best Browns play: Droughns 75-yard run was tops. But Frye's mad scramble, where he reversed field, almost fell, continued rolling right and then fired over the middle to Edwards for 15 yards deserved mention.

Boas were in evidence today, but the day-glo orange hats among the men showed up. Hunting season must start soon.

Best Fan Cam picture: An obvious drunk, who was dancing poorly and did not know he was on.

Worst stat: In a game where the Dolphins should have run the ball 50 times, they only ran 25 times and still averaged 5.6 per carry. Because what can't we do? Bueller? Anyone? We can't stop the run. There is no rule that says you can't run on every down.

2nd worst stat: Sage Rosenfels was 5 of 10 for 14 yards. Yes, it was that bad.

3rd worse stat: The Dolphins lost three defenders on a single Browns drive in the second quarter.

The Browns played a decent home game for a change. They took command early, made very few mistakes (1 turnover, 5 penalties), and hung on for a relatively easy win. A shutout is always a good thing. The Browns win 22-0, go to 4-6, and visit Minnehaha next week.

Meal of Links

I watched "Serpico" this evening. That scene, at the end, where he gets his gold shield followed by that damn theme music, gets me every time.

Bush says Murtha's not a bad guy. The good cop, bad cop act is getting old with this administration.

Mayor Daley wants the Chicago schools to be open six days a week. Loverboy starts work on a new song.

Exercise Yard

I saw "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather beat Sharmba Mitchell with a devastating body shot on HBO Boxing last night. It's rare when it happens at a big-time level, but I've seen three in the last couple of years.

Visitor

None, a glorious Browns Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For once a pretty good race from nascar.great move by biffle .mark martin is still trying to figure out where he came from. JMK