Sunday, September 18, 2005

I was by the Stadium this morning and it's a great time to walk there. No one else around. Weather is fine. You're by yourself, slightly hungover, with your thoughts as the sun starts burning off some of that morning mist. I was so inspired, I stopped at Mazzone's Bakery and had what I think was my first donut of the year. A jelly one. And I only ordered one. Donuts are like Lay's potato chips to me, so I've learned not to eat them. It was good and I recommend it heartily.

So, I'm feelin' pretty good today which contrasts with the Indians game last night. I think I have to go to confession, because we bought the cheapest tickets and oops, we didn't sit in them. Must have been a hard section to find. The game was fine, we won and all, but it was the post-game that killed me. I have become Bob Feller, Bitterman. It's because of the goddamn fireworks. It was the first display I observed in eons. And it was a personal hell. See, I don't dislike fireworks, I loathe them. And I'm not exactly Bruce Springsteen's number one fan, so to have his music playing during a fireworks display felt like I was battling flesh-eating bacteria. This town has some freakish cult-like attachment to fireworks. At various places during the show, especially when it's loud or there is a pause, folks start automatically clapping like barking seals.















You would think, with all that is going on in this world, that the money used for those displays could be put to a better use. I believe every Saturday is a fireworks game for the Tribe, but my God, I think it's a stupid exercise.

(Housekeeping note: Due to comment spam, if you wanna comment now, you'll have to do a word verification (like when you order from Ticketmaster). It's only one more step, but a necessary one, I'm afraid.)

Meal of Links

A review of Apple's new products. The phone idea doesn't make any sense to me, but the Nano looks pretty cool.

Tom Waits is suing again for a soundalike. Contrast his stance against his music in commercials with that new commercial with Dylan's "The Times They Are A Changin'". I am mortified about that one.

Here are all of the SNL Celebrity Jeopardy classics. These are funny.

Exercise Yard

10 players who have to play better due to teammates' injuries, their own bad play, or just because they have to.

Visitor

None, it's Sunday.

No comments: