Friday, August 19, 2005













Oh no, it's Devo, D-E-V-O. I was at Scene Pavilion last night to see Devo and English Beat. Kind of a "Hit Me Baby One More Time", only of a much higher quality. English Beat sang all the ones you would expect, except for "Best Friend". Dave Wakeling is the only guy left from the originals and did a pretty decent job on vocals. And had an anti-war statement, as well.

Then Devo took the stage. What an effort. The spuds were in the house and the band was in really good form. You can't help but laugh at some of their moves and outfits, but they sounded awesome. They had a video from General Boy at the start that showed many clips from their career that was excellently produced. I'd say the highlights for me were "Jocko Homo" (you know, "We are Devo"), "Girl U Want", and "Freedom of Choice". I have to apologize to the lady sitting in front of me, whoever you are. I sorta...kinda...well, no I actually hit her in the head while doing a "Freedom of Choice" march. Conked her right in the noggin. Apologized profusely as I could, then continued on. I had a great time.

I've revisited two other bands from a long time ago and I gotta tell you, they had some fine rcordings out there. One is Gang of Four, who are in the midst of a comeback. The other is Shriekback. OK, the bands are related, but dust them off if you have them, and give those records a spin.

Meal of Links

If you like real soda pop, this one's for you.

The new Disney chief says that DVDs could be released at the same time as movies at the theatre. Hollywood has essentially killed the second-run industry because the window between a film's release and its DVD release is getting shorter. It's probably the future, because people are staying away from the movies. That's a shame. I still think it's a great experience.

More info on Intel helping Cleveland develop WiFi. Currently, it's just to help government functions.

Exercise Yard

Randy Moss smokes the hippy lettuce. Can't say I'm shocked, but Moss must have said I gotta get me some headlines, instead of T.O.

Visitor

39 Down: Delay on the Hill (3 letters) Answer: Tom

No comments: