Saturday, July 09, 2005

Random thoughts from my head:

Since Hurricane Dennis passed by the Dry Tortugas, should they change their name to the Wet Tortugas? And why are they dry? And what's a Tortuga?

In a related note, the Tour is riding through the Black Forest today. And it's green! They had a shot of some migrating storks from Africa that was pretty cool. Four Americans (Lance, Julich, Hincapie and Landis) are in the top ten. Lance and George Hincapie are teammates on Discovery Channel's team. Big day tomorrow, as Lance gets major pressure in the mountains.

I heard a replay of Live 8 while driving around town today. Gordon Lightfoot sounded better when he was younger and drunker.

That lady at Burger King keeps asking me if I want ketchup when I order items that would never need ketchup. "I'll have a salad, chili and a small diet Coke." "You want ketchup or salt with that?" "Stop asking me that, freak woman."

I just found out Brooke Burke (grrrrrrrrr) is hosting the INXS reality show, which starts Monday. It may not boost ratings, but it'll boost my boy parts.

The neighborhood rabbit is still hanging around. If I get within five feet of it without stopping or walking slowly and it doesn't move, should I assume someone is feeding it? Or is it dead?

I paid $11.65 for gas today. Not even 5 gallons worth.

Why does Worcestershire Sauce come in such a big bottle? I use it semi-regularly and I think it's the same bottle from 1997.

I started looking through the Podcasts on iTunes. Some are downright awful. Harry Shearer's Le Show, which I used to listen to more frequently, is the first one I subscribed to. I heard one from Hawaii that was really bad. The guy says, "It's gonna be a short show this week. I just got in at 6 a.m. I think you can see a pattern here over the first six weeks. One week, it'll be me and my co-host, the next week, I'll be the only one to show up." It sounded like his name was Beavis.

Larry Hughes was an excellent pickup by the Cavs. He used to do a lot of damage with Arenas in the Wizards backcourt. Not a great shooter, but a good scorer and an excellent defender. Probably a sign-and-trade with Z.

Meal of Links

Well, let's see what's happening in the town with the highest poverty rate in the US. Mmmm, this looks interesting. 8.5 percent of teens, 15 to 19, were infected with both chlamydia and gonorrhea. I call it home.

The new "Harry Potter" book debuts on July 16. I'll say it a thousand times. Whatever gets kids motivated to read, I'm all for it.

The Olympics have dropped baseball and softball for 2012. Clearly, they want the pros for baseball. As for softball...sorry, ladies.

Exercise Yard

Some Cleveland mentions in an article on major leaguers using aliases at hotels on the road.

"No, his name was Gerry Dorsey, and he released songs as Gerry Dorsey, songs such as (mumbles) which didn't work ‘cause nobody could hear what he was saying. And then his managers, obviously, said, "We're going to change your name, Gerry! It's the name that's the problem." And his name changed from Gerry Dorsey to Engelbert Humperdinck. I mean, I just wanted to be in the room when they were working that one through.

"Zingelbert Bembledack! Yingybert Dambleban! Zangelbert Bingledack! Wingelbert Humptyback! Slut Bunwalla!"

"What?!"

"All right, Kringelbert Fishtybuns! Steviebuns Bottrittrundle..."

"No, Gerry Dorsey, I like Gerry Dorsey!"

"No, we can't do it... Who we got? Zingelbert Bembledack, Tringelbert Wangledack, Slut Bunwalla, Klingybun Fistelvase, Dindlebert Zindledack, Gerry Dorsey, Engelbert Humptyback, Zengelbert Bingledack, Engelbert Humperdinck, Vingelbert Wingledanck…"

"No, no, go back one. Go back one. "Engelbert Humperdinck." That's it."

Visitor

21 Across: Star seen around midnight (4 letters) Answer: Leno

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mental Note.......... Make sure you put out the ketchup (when we have Taco Salad) and the blinking VCR for Jim when he comes over..........he really likes that!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't be surprised if Hughes ends up playing mostly point. Nice pick and roll options and leaves 2 guard open for high percentage shooter if Luke pans out or one available in market or trade. A pure shooter in the lineup with slashers/passers like Lebron and Hughes might be impossible to stop. Also reduces the need for high scorers at PF and center spots. We can go with rebounders, shot blockers and defensive players at those positions.