Sunday, July 31, 2005

Here are some random things I think you should see or do:

First of all, if I'm at the light at Superior and 9th and Mass is being broadcast to the street from inside St. John's, do I need to turn down "Crosstown Traffic" on my radio? OK, it was loud and I get to sing backup and Jimi's kinda spiritual. Should I start waxing my surfboard for the Lake of Fire now?

Anyhow, you must watch "Shawn of the Dead" on your local cable outlet. Very funny and not gory (paint and ink stuff). The scene where they beat up a zombie in a bar with Queen on the jukebox had me on the floor.

The Winking Lizard's "Shot in the Dark" run/walk is now the area's third largest in only its second year. Missed last night's, but went in year one and I need to mark it down for next year. I don't mean participating, I mean sittin' outside on a Saturday night when people are actually Downtown. 2500 particpants plus friends/family and beer and a band means many people. Plus I don't have to eat their food.

Add Buster Olney's baseball blog as a must-read on ESPN.com. With Uncle Petey Gammons to the Hall of Fame today, it's "24 Hours of Buster" on ESPN as the baseball trading deadline draws to a close today. Olney's blog is part of the ESPN Insider package (which costs $40/year or something), and is excellent. Add it to Peter King on SI on Mondays and Gregg Easterbrook on NFL.com on Tuesdays. King should be starting his training camp visits soon, if he has not done so already.

Podcasting is pretty cool. Some are basically downloaded versions of radio shows which is fine. I am a big fan of Harry Shearer's "le Show" and I can listen whenever I want. And Baseball Prospectus actually has a nice 45-minute show, as well. IPodLounge also has a short report that fits in nicely with my schedule. Those are the ones I like, the 5-8 minute ones that give you information you might not normally hear. Tons of them on travel, sports, really anything out there. It may not be the future, but as websites prove, the really good ones can survive.

Good to see a pedestrian bridge to Voinovich Park will be built. It's a neat park, but you have to go down to 9th by the Mather to get there. This bridge will actually be where all the people park, on the WEST side of the Science Center and Rock Hall. I think the one millionth person to walk down the walkway by the Rock Hall, only to figure out they couldn't cross there to the Goodtime must have snapped. Now watch them haul one of those old Gordon Park pedestrian bridges across I-90 and put that up there.

"Being Bobby Brown" on Bravo is on Thursday nights. Watch it. You'll laugh.

Over the last year or so, I feel the PD has really stepped up their recipes in the food section. A couple of weeks ago, they had a Turkey Chili recipe using chicken broth that was dynamite. Look for it. At least one per week is worth trying.

Meal of Links

There are some interesting facts about Neil Diamond in this article. Like he was the top revenue-producing live act of the 90's. Gulp. He's in Cleveland soon. And Rick Rubin is producing his next album. Yes, that Rick Rubin.

In case you have not heard of "The Aristocrats", here is what it's all about.
And here.

OK, here is the new all-time official time waster. And it's a good one.

Exercise Yard

Speaking of the trading deadline, why not move it back to August 15th and eliminate the waiver deal. That way, if the Indians fade in the next two weeks, they would move to being a seller. Right now, we are deluded into thinking we can get a wild card and will keep Millwood and Wickman. Why? I have no idea. I still see Coco and Millwood going to the Yankees. One more thing, if the Reds do not make a deal today, fire the GM right now. It looks like Manny stays.

Visitor

None, it's a rare Sunday off for NASCAR.

No comments: