Saturday, April 16, 2005

"Look what they've done to my Market Pavilion, Ma. Look what they've done...". I went to last night's Indians game and sat in the Batter's Eye section. What they've done is, well, they essentially gutted the middle of the seating section of the Market Pavilion. They kept all the tables and chairs that were toward the back, you know the ones where you can't see the game anyhow, and kept those tables and the squeakiest chairs ever, that border the railings.

The Batter's Eye itself, as near as I can tell, is there to sell frozen daiquiris. Somewhat perplexed on how that became a popular drink, but seriously, each side of the four-sided bar had two frozen daiquiri machines. I know those are $9 and you get to keep the glass. The 8 plasma TVs (two on each side) are 20-inch Sonys. So, we are not talking big-time sports bar here. And they had no crowd, but had 12 bartenders. That's right, 9 girls and 3 guys. Basically they just stand around and wait for customers. It's odd as to how they are spinning this like "a Terrace Club for non-season ticket holders", because that's not it at all. I think if they had not panicked and removed most of the seating trying to find new revenue streams, tinkering with, not gutting the old setup was probably the prudent move. I'm sure as summer arrives, it will catch on a little better, but I think doing something like this on the mezzanine level and enclosing it, would have worked.

The Indians, who cannot hit at all lately and are tied with KC and Detroit, lost to Santana without Rob Thomas. Sparse crowd last night. The Tribe now has two young ladies doing the in-house reporting and they are both the cheery types that you hate to see during the game. Got to witness Slider's "Taxman" (think George Harrison) routine last night. Dressed as Uncle Sam, he taxed the shirt right off "#1 Minnesota Fan"'s back. Oh man, that was funny. After that, with a nod to Jack White, "I had a brain that felt pancake batter."

Meal of Links

I can't put my finger on why, but Wendy's upped their reward to $100,000.

I find it fascinating that Michael Jackson has to sell his Beatles catalog, and probably would remain in debt. On a sad note, he also owns "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It". On an even sadder note, I saw Ringo Starr(!) on a Time/Life music ad today.

Keith Richards pays tribute to Johnnie Johnson. You can see his awe for the man in "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll". That was the movie where I thought Keith was gonna punch out Chuck Berry.

Exercise Yard

I like Gary Sheffield. I would not want to mess with Sheff, but clearly the idiot Boston fan was not going for the ball on Thursday, as the replay shows, it was already past him. He certainly did not look apologetic after the fact, if it was a mistake. The guy in the Gap sweatshirt who poured the beer on Sheff is the kind of punk you wanna have involved in a Slider routine as his punishment. Having said that, Sheff put his hands on the guy and while showing admirable restraint in not going Artest on the guy, he'll pay the piper for that mistake.

Looks like a good Kentucky Derby is coming as Afleet Alex and Bandini romped in their respective preps today. Both members of my fantasy stable, I might add. I am 909 out of 24,163.

Visitor

15 Across: Berra teammate (5 letters) Answer: Maris

No comments: