Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I've noticed lately that when famous people die, many of the obits gloss over some of the, shall we say, darker moments of their lives. It is a tough spot, because I think you want to be respectful. Of course, if you are infamous, they'll kick you as you leave the planet, without a second thought. I think a good example was last year with Reagan. If I hadn't lived through it, I would have come away with the feeling that he was like my neighbor. Jeepers, the guy couldn't say the word "AIDS", let alone do anything about it.

The latest in this trend is John DeLorean. In the US obits, like CNN, they focus on his design skills and rise through GM and, of course, mention the "Back to the Future" angle. But in the UK, he is characterized, perhaps rightly so, as "the man who fooled the world", with no mention of the movie. The difference is really striking.

Meal of Links

Line up for those PlayStation Portables. I'm southpaw-challenged, so I gotta pass on this one.

I've never heard of the Marburg virus (Marburg? He owes me money.), but it seems that it has a high death rate of those who contract it.

Whitney Houston is back in rehab. Probably having a duet with Billy Joel right about now.

Exercise Yard


You can't have your coach dress like this for a game. You just can't. Larry Brown's ties probably cost more than George Karl's outfit, even with the throwback. It looks comfy, though.

Visitor

20 Across: 1980 Australian antiwar film (13 letters) Answer: Breaker Morant

No comments: