Sunday, January 30, 2005

Saw "Million Dollar Baby" yesterday and it was a most excellent movie. As a biffhead, anything done intelligently with boxing is cool. No question, give Swank the Oscar. Clint was great and Morgan Freeman does another narration like "Shawshank", so give him his lifetime achievement hardware. I was not aware, until recently, about the protests revolving around the film, because of its subject matter and I won't spoil anything here. If you're curious, check out USA Today or some of Roger Ebert's latest writings on the topic. And conservative talk radio, like Medved and Limbaugh are all over it, too.

Also, made a visit to the Park City Diner last night after the CSU (who won again yesterday. Check for blue moon.) game. Had a really good patty melt and a couple of Great Lakes Dortmunders. Very nice.

Meal of Links

Smokers beware. Weyco, a Michigan firm, is looking to terminate employees who smoke, on or off the job. What's next, alcohol checks?

The Iraqi elections are taking place, as we speak. But does anyone here know who's running, which party is good for us, etc.? My take is they are voting, that's great, but I have no idea what results to look for.

Polar bears in the Arctic are headed for extinction. Methinks Coke will have something to say about that.

Exercise Yard

The best quote I've heard about boxing lately was from the Jack Johnson documentary. Stanley Crouch said, "The goal of boxing is to get your opponent to participate in his own ass whipping." I throw this punch, to get this reaction, which allows me to do this. Never demonstrated more clearly than last night on HBO where Gatti beat Leija in five rounds. Jab sets up the power and then "Bam!". Arturo Gatti fights are the best, because I love the way his trainer, Buddy McGirt, talks to his fighters. I hope he fights Floyd Mayweather. I'd pay for that one.

Visitor

None, it's Sunday.

No comments: