Sunday, October 31, 2004

Isolation Thought

We had a great time at Thistledown yesterday. Food was great (they added a pasta station this year), we had lots of laughs, and my Dad, well, Uncle Joe was at his finest. That's why I love the guy. I thought he was going for the superfecta, when he was complaining about the line while we were waiting to be seated. To recap his trifecta: He complained about the programs (to be fair, we all did), he raved about the ice cream (strawberry sauce, no jimmies), and said this, "Singletary. They named him after the football player. That's why the silks are the colors of the Chicago Browns." Bingo, go to the windows!!! More on him later.

It was an interesting Breeders Cup because the familiar names like Baffert, Lukas, Bailey and Day were not hitting the board.

To recap my bets:

Juvenile-Tamwell led about 70% of the race before fading to 4th. Was never really lone speed.

Juvenile Fillies-Culinary failed to menace.

Mile-Whipper. Well, Whipper kinda got into contention but got inhaled by the closers and finished tenth.

Sprint-Kela finished second and had too much ground to make up. The field was unusually spread out for the Sprint and as a closer, it's tough to make up the ground when the front end is going about 90 mph.

Filly and Mare Turf-Ouija Board had terrible odds, so I went with Film Maker who finished second.

Juvenile-This was my big win of the day, as I had the Wilko-Afleet Alex exacta. I think my quote was, "Here comes Wilko!!!" in a state of disbelief. And to top it off, one of my favorite jockeys, Frankie Dettori, got to do his obligatory flying dismount.

Turf-An example of why they run the races. Kitten's Joy was obviously the best horse in the race, but didn't win. The race played exactly as I thought for the first mile, as Star Over the Bay was the lone speed. Then it got crazy. Powerscourt goes to the lead way too early and Kitten's Joy is on the rail. Now Kitten's Joy has the acceleration of a Ferrari and is just about to blow past Powerscourt when up comes the longshot Better Talk Now. Kitten's Joy looks like Better Talk Now runs into him and has to pull up. By the time he tries to get around Powerscourt, who in the meantime, appears to get run into by who else, Better Talk Now, he lost a lot of time and finished second. Jockey files an objection, but the stewards deny it. Why the long story? I got hosed on my Pic-3 ticket of Ouija Board/Wilko/Kitten's Joy. Bah!

Classic-Ghostzapper was simply amazing and I was all over this pick. He smoked this field and when they ran the half-mile in 47, I said, "They are playing right into Ghostzapper's hands! I mean hooves". This one was in the bag early.

Well, it's Halloween. I haven't figured out what I'm handing out, but you can bet it's a candy on sale. My Dad is giving out these cookies called Creepy Cremes. They are like Oreos, but have orange filling. He got them at the Dollar Store for a buck a bag. I told him kids don't want cookies, they want candy. He said I don't want to spend money on kids who don't even live around here and on and on. I told him they are gonna look in that bag and be disappointed and he replied that they are just happy to hear something dropped into the bag. I said if that's the case, are you gonna hand out ice cubes next year, they're pretty cheap, and they won't find out until they are far away from your house. Of course, he laughed, but I saw him loading up on ice trays from the Dollar Store.

Meal of Links

Just a hunch, but I don't think Jay-Z likes R. Kelly anymore.

Trump comes to Chicago, while "The Apprentice" admits he's not in charge. Finally.

What a great, clean Senate race in Kentucky. An Alzheimer's candidate against a "limp wrist".

Exercise Yard

Michael Buffer wants you to help him stamp out a serious problem. The unauthorized use of "Let's get ready to rumble." Will I get sued if I call him "The Classy" Jimmy Lennon, Jr.?

Visitor

None, it's Sunday.

No comments: