Sunday, August 08, 2004

Isolation Thought

President Nixon resigned 30 years ago today. I have him to thank for my interest in politics, which has never subsided. I recall watching the Watergate hearings which I could see after school and then all day during the summer. When you're a kid, it's amazing how these major historical happenings can intertwine with other events. The day Tricky Dick left town, on the 9th, we went to the Indians game. I could not remember who we played, but here is the box score. I think Gaylord had a better year than Nixon.

But those were fascinating times. Really that era from 67-75, man, there was a lot of stuff goin' down, as they used to say. Always something happening that might change things forever.

Meal of Links

The fear factor about a disruption of the November election rises again. I am still mystified as to who would benefit. Kerry would get some votes, I guess, if we were attacked again, because of a Bush policy failure. Bush would get some votes, I guess, if he acted "presidential" after an attack. So, I'm perplexed as to why it would happen.

The Olympics, for TV purposes have become "The Crying Games".

It may be the end of an era for cancelled checks.

Exercise Yard

Greg Maddux won his 300th game yesterday. He is a great pitcher, but one who doesn't get the pub, because he uses his brain and not the 99 mph heater to beat you. If C.C. drops some lbs. and stays healthy, he has a shot at 300, but he won't be an Indian at that point in his career.

Visitor

None, it's Sunday.

No comments: