Sunday, September 04, 2011

Last night was my first try at attending the Cleveland Oktoberfest . OK, I'll say it. I didn't have any German food. It was too warm to even think about having a pigout session. I just stuck with the beer at this sauna. Hofbrau's Oktoberfest Beer being a really keen brew. Beer was relatively cheap here. If you stayed away from promotional cups and all, the German beers were $5 and I think Buds were only $4 for a draft pounder. You cannot beat the carny food, as I had a gyro. Overall, a nice gastric experience.

The crowd showed up despite the heat, however. There seemed to be an unusual attraction from the human glockenspiel activity. These people would come out every hour on the hour. Do a little German dancing and then throw stuff to the audience. It sorta reminded me of the lines at the Food Show where people would stand in them for a lengthy time, just because something was free. The items tossed were mainly beads, but I think there were other trinkets and t-shirts were also distributed. I didn't really get this attraction, but it seemed to be very popular, so I won't quibble too much.

The Cleveland Pops Orchestra was scheduled to appear there during this evening's rain. Even with the shower, let's hope more people observed that than the clock.

Meal of Links

One of the great things about Harry Shearer is he tracks the Olympic movement. Well, lookee here. The no-fly zone in London next summer may bankrupt firms. You know, small companies like flight schools.

Not that I've watched it in years. And it's hard to believe that Channel 8 always used to cancel US Open Tennis coverage because of it. But it will be strange to see the MDA Telethon proceed without Jerry Lewis. Such an odd breakup.

How a cinema saved a town. Kind of a neat story.

Economy class is getting better. Apparently on airlines I don't frequent.

An R who left the cult. That's why even an off-year election is important.

Somehow this guy is always overlooked when it comes to hosting the Oscars. How about Eddie Murphy?

Another Ed Gein tribute. This time, it's "Ed Gein, The Musical". I am laughing so hard, I could barely type that.

Exercise Yard

The Cubs may stop serving Old Style at Wrigley field. That's a shame. However, even Giant Eagle has such a wide selection of beer these days, these old brands are bound to suffer.

Having said that, I'm off to finish a Modelo.

Visitor

None, on a cloudy Sunday.

No comments: