Friday, August 05, 2011

While on vacation...

I was getting bids on my roof, as I have to get a new one. So, on Saturday, I got a call from a prospective bidder, who said he would be over but about 20 minutes later than planned. This gave me an opportunity to run to the bank.

So, as I was heading up to Third Federal on Ridge, I encountered some slow traffic on Pearl past Brookpark. I mean REALLY slow. I was third through the light, but, damn, the first car through was like following a horse and buggy. Naturally, I bolted to the right lane for a seemingly easy pass. Just as I was about to make my move into the left lane. I check my mirrors and now the guy is right next to me. WTF?

Yep, it was the old "I was going slow, but I will now prevent that guy from passing me" move. Some sort of strange behavior where he is judge and jury on YOUR driving. As we come to the next light, I decided to get behind this car, which is obviously being driven by an old-timer. As we are now stopped, he looks in his rearview, starts yelling, and seems to be writing something in the air.

I am now truly puzzled, but he is still yelling. I decide to yell back, "Whatever you're writing, you are! Yeah, that's you! That's what you are!" As we approach Ridge Road, I realize this dance is gonna be played again because:

a) We are stopped at another light.
b) We are both turning left onto Ridge.
c) We both know I am passing him pretty much as that light changes and I get onto Ridge.

So, as we complete c, I see him once again crazily pointing his arm towards the right side of the road. It finally dawns on me. He is pointing at the speed limit sign! Which reads 25! So, this is what he had been drawing at the previous light, the number "25"!

Yes, while on vacation, I yelled at a old-timer and called him, in not so many words, a "25".

Meal of Links

S&P downgrades U.S. Treasuries. That kinda blows. First time ever.

The verdicts in the Danzinger Bridge shootings, alluded to very much on "Treme" are in. 5 NOLA cops guilty.

Why the markets are tanking. And not a lot can be done.

The best 2011 road trip vehicles. Porsches, of course.

"Louie" had another great episode last night. It actually touched on the accusations of Dane Cook stealing material from Louis C.K.

WTF? Martha Stewart's empire is actually crumbling?

I mentioned the lack of Joey Barton for Newcastle in Columbus last week. Now Newcastle doesn't want him anymore. For a free transfer.

Exercise Yard

Joe Pos on a forgotten moment of Track & Field. Carl Lewis and the 30-foot jump.

Visitor

18 Down: Wile E. Coyote's supplier (4 letters) Answer: Acme

No comments: