Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm ba-ack.

What happened while I was away?

President Obama made a speech at the Tucson Memorial on Wednesday that was fine. But I thought the crowd (i.e. the Arizona students) were completely off the mark with their reactions. I mean, it was a memorial, not a pep rally. And the Native American blessing was straight out of the SNL playbook. With a National Anthem singer who looked like Glenn Beck...well, there you go. This touches on issues I had with the whole thing. Especially about the "rain puddles".

Pat Shurmur was hired as Browns coach. And Browns Version 2.5 begins. I guess we're running a 4-3 and Shurmur will call his own plays. That's about all we learned about Shurmur at yesterday's presser, along with his Eric Wedge-like use of the word "process".

And they finally broke ground on the Medical Mart yesterday. Glad to see the uninvolved like Kasich and Fitzgerald grabbing a shovel.

I craved beer all week, so I requested this song at the Happy Dog.

"I Like Beer"/Tom T. Hall



Meal of Links

Pope John Paul II is getting closer to becoming a saint. I guess he performed a miracle somewhere down the line. But you need two. Lemme guess, we'll hear about that soon after the beatification.

Football's chattiest announcers. Number One is Kevin Harlan, who I really like. The least? Kenny Albert, who I cannot stand.

Best docs of 2010. Ebert's doc picks. The Most Underappreciated Movies of 2010.

I forgot to mention this. Queensland is flooded and it's Brisbane, as in Lisbon. Not Bris-bane.

"Hannah Montana" is over. The problem I have with this show is it gives kids free reign to say unfunny stuff.

The TV press is out in Cali with all of the networks. Interesting news from Showtime. "Californication" is renewed, I don't watch this very much. "Dexter" is said to have a "long shelf life". And they are going to do a "24/7" HBO-like series on the San Francisco Giants next year.

The real genius of "Real Genius". This movie has grown on me over the years.

Should the idea of death threats on Sarah Palin be scrutinized. You betcha.

Tunisia is all fouled up.

Exercise Yard

More NFL Playoffs today. This weekend has three of the four games looking good on paper, and I think Chicago-Seattle will surprise, as well.

The picks (and I can't believe I have three road dogs):

Ravens +3
Packers +2.5
Patriots -8.5
Seahawks +10

Visitor

14 Down: Jim with 589 lifetime homers (5 letters) Answer: Thome "Essentially, Thome last season had the best hitting season for any part-time player since World War II. And by a lot..."

No comments: