Thursday, November 04, 2010

The wingnuts have gone over the edge. I was listening to the Magic Radio at Noon yesterday and they interviewed a lady who was in charge of some Eastern Pennsylvania Tea Party. Now there were two parts, actually three, that would have driven me to the bottle, if I had one handy.

First of all, they don't "endorse" candidates, they just "back" them. Someone needs to explain that difference to me. She claimed her Tea Party wasn't the cause of the R's losing the Senate. Basically, don't blame me, we don't endorse anyone.

Second, her thoughts on Social Security were misguided. She acted as if she is getting back what she and her husband paid into it, completely ignoring the fact she is reaping the benefits of those who have paid into the program before her. It's nuts. She also acted as if the government would cut her SS benefits, she and her husband would get by, as they always do.

Third, the CBO report on healthcare is, in her words, "baloney". You know, the fact that it will actually cut into the deficit. "I don't believe one word of that." Of course, she couldn't name anything to cut to make up for the deficit, just that "they need to get on a budget" citing welfare, Medicaid, and any other entitlement buzzword. Then she brought up, as a place to start, this insane rumor that President Obama's trip to India would cost $200 million a day.

This was the first I had heard about it. Believe me, I looked. I could not find one credible news source yesterday afternoon that reported it. It came from a quote from some Indian website and it was pure speculation. Completely overlooking the US operation in Afghanistan runs at about $190 million per day.

Absolutely confounding.

Meal of Links

I used to watch MTV. Whatever happened to Gideon Yago? Do you care whatever happened to Gideon Yago?

Are we talking Olympics already? Danny Boyle says the Opening Ceremonies in London will have some rock and roll.

Danny McBride talks about his faves in pop culture. "Locked Up Abroad" looks scary.

Toronto cops get disciplined for actions during the G20 summit. That was a bad scene.

FT has a long piece on why there isn't much of a market for Annie Liebovitz photos. Seems the art galleries aren't exactly enamored with here, and I guess you have to play that game.

Exercise Yard

One of the all-timers died today, Sparky Anderson. Obviously known more for managing the Reds, but we got to see him a lot as manager of the Tigers. Regarded as one of the nicest people in baseball. And that 1984 Tigers team was quite a ride. First place the entire season.

Two Sparky lines have always stuck with me. "You can have the guy who loses the 3-2 games, I want the guy who wins the 5-4 games." And when he gave a pitcher the hook, you were to hand him the ball "like it was an egg."

Kirk Gibson, my all-time favorite non-Indian, with some words.

Visitor

6 Across: ___ Mahal (3 letters) Answer: Taj

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sparky was great with the Tigers.Now he has made it 3 this week (2011 pool)----JMK

gapag said...

I had him on my short list too JMK