Monday, October 18, 2010

Why do an Indians recap when DiaTribe does it better. Lots of good stuff, especially on next year's targets at third and starting pitching. And reasonable arguments on why the Indians should not extend Chris Perez and Asdrubal Cabrera just yet.

Two things need to take place next year. The Indians need full recoveries from Grady Sizemore and Carlos Santana. If so, they have 4 positions taken care of. Santana behind the plate, Sizemore in LF (Yes, I think he moves), Michael Brantley in CF and Shin-Soo Choo in RF. 5 positions if you pencil in Travis Hafner as DH against righthanders.

Next year, we still have question marks all around the infield. Third base was really a black hole and they need to find someone who can catch the ball over there. Cabrera really took a step back in 2010, but I'm leaning towards giving him a pass because of his injury. Second base was an issue. Jayson Nix hit when he played there but sucked at third base and I'd like to see more hitting from Jason Donald. I think we are forced to give Matt LaPorta a pass because of his injury-filled season. But I was very disappointed in him. 2011 is make-or-break for LaPorta, in my opinion.

Chris Perez is a definite find at closer and Rafael Perez basically saved his career, by being superb after June 1. They probably need to find another veteran out of the bullpen and revisit the scrap heap that provided them with Kevin Millwood in 2005 and Carl Pavano in 2009.

Here are my good predictions from last year:

I predicted 74 wins. Actual total: 69 wins.

I predicted a 4th place finish. Actual finish: 4th place.

I predicted 15 wins for Fausto Carmona. Actual total: 13 wins.

I said that Jake Westbrook would get 10 wins. Actual total: 10 wins (6 CLE, 4 STL)

I said Chris Perez would be OK as the closer. Actual totals: 2-2, 23 Saves, 1.71 ERA.

Bad predictions:

I predicted 10-12 wins for Justin Masterson. Actual total: 6 wins.

I predicted major innings for Aaron Laffey. Actual total: 56 innings.

I predicted 10 agonizing wins and more losses for David Huff. Actual totals; Well, I had the 11 losses right but missed big on the 2 wins.

I said Travis Hafner would be a 20-100 guy, if healthy. Actual totals: 13 HR, 50 RBI (Can't explain the 29 doubles though.)

Do you realize our Opening Day bench was:

Russell Branyan (traded to the Mariners on June 26)
Mark Grudzielanek (released on June 10)
Austin Kearns (traded to the Yanks on July 30)
Andy Marte (Sucked at 1B, but 3B stats: .306 BA, .355 OBP, .510 SLG, .865 OPS)
Mike Redmond (released July 16)

Yikes!

Meal of Links

Last night was the finale of "Rubicon". I really thought this had no chance of going to a Season 2, then I saw James Badge Dale doing a promo for AMC and thought it odd if they were getting ready to cancel the show. They closed up just enough loose ends to bookend the series if it was the last episode. And left a few open, just in case they come back. If the first 4 episodes were better, who knows what press it might have gotten. It's too bad because Arliss Howard was absolutely off-the-charts with his portrayal of Kale Ingram.

Opening a show or movie with a sex scene. Yes, the good "Crash" is here. Marisa Tomei, too. Lila from "Dexter". And a recent "Eastbound and Down".

More privacy issues for Facebook. This is a recurring theme, it seems.

Exercise Yard

James Hunt had some unusual training methods in his F1 glory years. 33 stewardesses in 2 weeks.

Visitor

52 Across: She replaced Paula Abdul as an "American Idol" judge (14 letters) Answer: Ellen Degeneres

No comments: