Saturday, October 09, 2010

I spent a few hours this afternoon at the Lake County Oktoberfest. This was held in the Our Lady of Mount Carmel parking lot. Beautiful day. Beer. Polkas. What more could you want on a Saturday afternoon. So, we dragged my Dad, my brother and my niece out there for the festivities.

Scary thing was when I got there around 1:00, there didn't seem to be too many people in attendance. And second, there were not a whole lot of people drinking beer. I soon corrected that. Music was provided by the Chardon Polka Band. Good group of 20-somethings playing the classics, some covers and some originals. Good stuff. They stopped when Mass started, although that's when the Sausage Eating Contest took place. That was the signal to head back home.





























It's interesting that at the real Oktoberfest in Munich, they drank a record 7 million liters of beer this year. And there were 37 kids who were lost. Hard to believe.

Meal of Links

Well, this has to be good. David Mamet writing and directing and Al Pacino starring as Phil Spector.

Speaking of HBO, I can't wait to see what Michael Mann does with "Luck". What, a series about horse racing? This combined with FX debuting a boxing series, "Lights Out", in January makes me wonder of these sports have enough interest in them.

What looks better the second time? "Barton Fink"...yeah. "You're a sick fuck, Fink."

Chick Transforms Into Jared Leto



They are remaking "They Live"! One of the greatest lines in cinematic history is in this film: "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum."

They tracked down the "Cigar Guy". I still can't figure out why so few got that Jimenez connection. I knew that immediately.

Exercise Yard

More Beadlemania. This time in NBA Jam for Wii.

Visitor

27 Across: It lost to "Moon River" for a Best Song Oscar (15 letters) Answer: Girl From Ipanema

"Girl From Ipanema"/Astrud Gilberto

No comments: