Saturday, August 07, 2010

My Dad and I had a Steaks and Stakes Day today. After we lopped off some renegade stems in one of my bushes in the front yard (He had the Arte Johnson role of separating the leaves, while I had the Steve McQueen cutting the chain link fence role), we had some steaks.

My Dad buys these huge steaks from Buehler's every once in a while and they can be insanely cheap at times. Good cuts, too. They can't tip over the Flintstone car, but close. One more thing about Buehler's, you cannot beat their sale price on muffins at 79 cents every Wednesday. Anyhow, we fired up the grill and then stuffed ourselves.

Then it was on to horse racing. We watched an odds-on Baffert horse, Concord Point, win the West Virginia Derby and saw Blame (file him away for Breeders Cup Day) win the Whitney at Saratoga over Quality Road.

Time for a nap.

Meal of Links

The World Sauna Championships have ended in tragedy. First of all, I never knew they had World Sauna Championships. The winner is the one who can withstand 110 Degrees C the longest. Of course, some guy died.

Stuff about that other hand. You know, the left one.

I heard "Soul Man" yesterday and was thinking about "Play it, Steve". Here is something on Stax Records.

I bought some popcorn when I saw "Restrepo" yesterday. I then realized, hey, maybe that wasn't a popcorn type of film. But did you know you could microwave gourmet popcorn in a brown paper bag? And save money, as well.

I am a sucker for this goofy song when these two get together...



Negroponte says the physical book is dead in 5 years. I think I'm with him, as I am seriously considering the new Kindle.

The Taliban killing of 10 medics should have everyone upset. We cannot afford to lose people like these:

Karen Woo

and

Tom Little.

Exercise Yard

Soccer has already cranked up again. The Frenchies started Ligue 1 today. I saw Bocanegra was in the lineup for St, Etienne. And the annual kickoff of the EPL is tomorrow with the Community Shield.

The Community Shield matches the Premier League winner against the winner of the F.A. Cup. So that means it's between two teams you may have heard of: Manchester United vs. Chelsea.

And speaking of soccer, how about this for not only out of the box thinking, but perhaps out of their minds. The purchasers of the Silverdome want to divide it into three venues. Ground level will be a concert hall and a multi-purpose arena. On top of those, where the upper deck now starts, they want to build an outdoor soccer stadium.

"Tear the Roof Off The Sucka" (LIVE)/George Clinton



Visitor

41 Down: Theresa Dunn's ideal Mr. in a 1975 novel title (7 letters) Answer: Goodbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of French soccer check out David Stala TD celebration for the Hamilton Ti-Cats on YouTube-------------JMK