Friday, July 09, 2010

As I prepare to take my talents to Pennsylvania tomorrow...

Since we are not tired of LeBron yet, here are some of the better reactions I've seen.

Leitch feels stupid.

Even from KC, Joe Pos didn't see it coming either.

Bill Rhoden hears Dan Gilbert and says it validates LeBron's decision. BTW, jersey burnings are typically held when there are cameras around.

Bill Simmons blames everyone for what we "witnessed" last night. With lots of reader input, as well. Best comment: Dexter Morgan needs to take him down in Miami.

SI reviews the ESPN show. At 7, I see Bron Bron on Channel 3 biting his nails. Then, in Greenwich, Jim Gray inexplicably asks him, "Do you still bite your nails?" WTF?

Buzz Bissinger, who wrote the LeBron book, says his free agency was handled terribly.

The first draft of Dan Gilbert's missive.

Dan Gilbert holds a grudge like Khomeini.

Now is probably a good time to talk about Dan Gilbert's communique last night. Let me preface this by saying I have never lost $200 million in a few minutes. And I basically agree with what he said. But he's an ass.

His open letter reminded me of a 12-year old who got jilted and is pouring their heart out on Facebook. Current Mood: It's Complicated.

Let me backtrack a bit. Last night, around 10:30, Time Warner blew out both my cable and Internet, so I had to listen to the radio. I kept switching back between 850 and 1100 for signs of intelligent life. Around 11:40, I hear someone on 850 reading a letter from "Dan Gilbert".

It's so poorly written and verbose. God, is it lengthy. As it keeps going on and on, I say this has to be a hoax. When they get through reading it, Bob Holtzman from ESPN was their next guest and he inquires about it and they continue to read quotes from the letter. I'm screaming at the radio for them to cease, because they are gonna look like fools when the truth comes out.

So, I switch to 1100. Shit, Andre Knott is now reading the same letter. I pull out my 1G phone and a few minutes later realize it is posted on cavs.com. Jeezy creezy. My cable returns 15 minutes later and now Galeti is reading it on STO.

Good God! I picture Gilbert, after several drinks, wearing a bathrobe in front of his computer, deciding to write a letter to the fans. Conveniently avoiding his PR staff and sending it out unedited and obviously unfiltered.

Outside of making himself feel good and elevating the mood of Cavs fans everywhere, I'm not sure what he accomplished with the letter. The former King did a lot to increase the worth of Dan's team. If the Cavs "covered up" things for LeBron, let's not forget it's Gilbert or his minions who performed those acts. So, to accuse someone of being narcissistic and self-promotional and then doing it in a completely narcissistic and self-promotional way seems a bit disingenuous to me.

And this line: "Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there." I have no idea what the hell that means. But it sounds like something you type when you're drunk. Then you grunt, self-satisfied, and move on to some other edits.

Again, I agree with most of the things he said. If you're from here or dislike LeBron, Gilbert is probably now your favorite owner. That's how unprecedented of a smack at a superstar athlete this is. The line, "Mr. May", can't even dare to compete with this. If you like LeBron, well, you'll defend his right to go anywhere he can, as he's earned the right.

But if you're a player, gee, I can't see this helping. We have a lot of strikes against us when trying to attract top talent, so to add "Batshit Crazy and Underappreciative Owner" to the list doesn't seem like good business. However, as the Oakland Raiders field a full roster each season, you can get players to show up, if you pay them enough.

It looks like Dan Gilbert is going to have to overpay for a mistake again. This one of his own commission.

Meal of Links

How Jim Gray, nail fancier, got involved in that ESPN production. A network that dumped him years ago. They must have misremembered that.

LeBron once stated how he wanted to win a title with the Cavs. Now in Miami, it seems he misremembered his ringchasing comment.

Sarah Palin once advocated the airborne shooting of "Mama Grizzlies". I guess she misremembered, as well.

Exercise Yard

Fairly accurate analysis of Dutch football. Johann Cruyff, a la Lebron, picks Spain!

Hirsh picks 10 items we should take away from World Cup 2010. Excellent point: Where are all the Hispanics on the US squad?

Visitor

20 Across: Role for Harrison (3 letters) Answer: Han

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As Chris Jericho would say----------------LeBronald McDonald ----------------AssClown---------------------------------------JMK