Thursday, June 24, 2010

I hustled after work to get over to Cinemark to fit in a screening of "Knight and Day" before the NBA Draft. This is the Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz flick that opened yesterday. I thought the trailer was hideous, but since I won't be in line for "Twilight" next week, I'd thought I'd see this.

Actually, it wasn't bad. I can't really put my finger on why this is doomed to fail, but I can get close. The scenes that were meant to be funny, should have delivered more laughs than they did. And some of them were actually funny. But I don't know if the humor just sailed over everyone's heads or why it seemed to not consistently connect with the audience.

This was really a Cruise/Diaz vehicle, who probably shared 96% of the screen time. Paul Dano had a nice, small support role. Viola Davis and Peter Sarsgaard were basically wasted. Saw some new trailers today. Of course, "Inception" is getting a big push and I've seen this one for a while. But I saw the "Salt" trailer with Jolie. That looks promising. Those two are July releases.

Also saw the "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" sequel. And a first time for "The Adjustment Bureau" with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. And "Secretariat", as well. The first two are due in September, while the latter is an October release. There was one for the kiddies, "Rio", which said it is an Easter release. I'm assuming Easter 2011.

Meal of Links

Is it too hot to cook? Read this.

The Polaroid auction set some records. Including the Warhols.

Venezuela seized some US-owned oil rigs. The state-owned oil company wasn't paying the bills.

Will the Oscars move to January? Probably not. But, one argument, the Oscar bump, is a fallacy.

Sarah Palin is toxic. 52% react negatively if she endorses a candidate.

If you trust BP, listen up. Kevin Costner's water cleaning machine works.

Exercise Yard
































The World Cup lost another major soccer power as Italy failed to make the round of 16. It's setting up as a weird Quarterfinal as the matchups are dictating a couple of more will be gone by then.

The shift in power seems to be favoring South America, Asia and even CONCACAF (the US region) this time around.

BTW, here come the Mexicans.

Visitor

37 Across: "Annie" classic (15 letters) Answer: It's the hard knock

"Hard Knock Life"/Jay-Z

No comments: