Friday, October 02, 2009

Only Ohio could screw up EZ-Pass. I think the idea behind the technology is to allow those who have the transponders to easily glide through the toll booths with limited waiting. But on Day One, these geniuses decided to have zero dedicated lanes to EZ-Pass. That's right, at both I-77 and Route 8, there were no dedicated lanes.

So, we had to go among those who still had tickets and were unaware of the price increase that was about to hit them. Therefore, there were many confused drivers and really long lines. Backed up onto the Turnpike in both cases.

Today, lo and behold, there were dedicated lanes! However, I had to deal with a cheater who had a ticket in front of me at Route 8 this morning. The guy saw no waiting, he knew he had no EZ-Pass, but he went there anyway. I realized now that these booths are not equipped when someone jumps the line like that, so someone has to reset the machine so it can take a ticket. And that I means I'm behind the guy...fuming!

I-77 worked like a charm this evening though. Massive lines at the ticketed booths. But nary a soul at the lone dedicated lane. I easily passed 40 cars in about 5 different lines to go on my way. I can't think of a better commercial.

Meal of Links

The 100 Greatest Live Albums. No Pat Travers? I'm kidding. Biggest omissions: "Live Bullet" by Bob Seger, "The Last Waltz" by the Band.

Did Jon Stewart hurt America with his "Crossfire" attack? Look what replaced it.

The "Seinfeld" reunion start Sunday. Sort of. "Curb Your Enthusiasm" has been pretty, pretty, pretty good this year.

I want one. Like down the street from me.

Exercise Yard

This is a very long read. But a good one. How one pathologist discovered the disease of what is going on with former NFL players who go off the deep end. The story of Mike Webster's brain and how the NFL would not accept the findings of its study.

Visitor

46 Across: Hedren of "the Birds" (5 letters) Answer: Tippi

No comments: