Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Just when you think the Andy Marte Era is out of your head, they pull you back in. Well, all the neighborhood statheads are ecstatic that Marte is back with the Indians. There really are two camps regarding Marte. Either you've seen enough of him and you are already checked out. Or you think Wedgie really never gave him a full shot and now is the time to get a lengthy look at him. I tend to fall into the first group. However, even I realize that Casey Blake came on the scene here at age 29, while Marte is still only 25.

But Marte's arrival signals the end of the Ryan Garko Era. I liked Garks. He always was the good soldier (even losing weight both of the last two off-seasons), surviving many seasons as Wedgie's whipping boy, only to find him volunteering this year for hazard pay...in the outfield. But let's be honest, if he isn't hitting, he's a drag on the team. He's average defensively, at best, and can really clog the bases with his lack of speed. The three deals this past week are where Mark Shapiro is at his best. Getting Jess Todd to complete that DeRosa trade was highway robbery and to get two young starters (an obvious need) for Garko and Betancourt is very good work.

Next year we could be looking at a bullpen like this: Jensen Lewis, Rafael Perez, Chris Perez, Tony Sipp, Jess Todd, Joe Smith and Kerry Wood. That has some live arms and some depth, I'd say. Keep in mind, that's on paper. No way they'll contend next year, unless they address the starting rotation. But it's a beginning, I think.

FWIW, I just found out I share a birthday with Jhonny Peralta and my agent name is Agent Slick. Jhonny is "Agent Hotman".

Meal of Links

If you hate meetings, read this. I don't mind them if there is an agenda or, at the least, proper order. The ones that drag on aimlessly are a real chore to sit through.

Paste lists the Top 20 R.E.M. songs. Hey, I love "Pop Song 89". Shoot me.

More John Cazale love.

This is why we should treasure the Cinematheque locally. LACMA cancels their film program.

Songs that lived twice or more. Hey, "Tom's Diner"! Journey, as ever.

Even the big beer brands are being affected by the economy. This summer, I have had Bohemia, Leinenkugel Summer Shandy and Magic Hat No. 9, but even I found myself drinking a PBR at the Beachland over the weekend. But that was only after some tall Bourbons previously at the Happy Dog.

Shatner Does Palin



Exercise Yard

I always liked "Black" Jack McDowell. He finally talks about what ended his career with the Indians.

Visitor

15 Across: Actress Gershon (4 letters) Answer: Gina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that they should have got more than an A ballplayer for Garko. PFS

gapag said...

I agree PFS. Also great stuff from Black Jack and Dr Andrews. Hmmm which other guys has this guy operated on with botched results?