Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I woke up this morning not expecting to buy a new water heater. But the old one died today, water leaking out of it as it were blood. Had a new one installed by 3:30. And it seems to be working fine. I got reamed, er, got a Rheem.

Meal of Links

Since I was home today, the men in my family decided to go to the Cinemark and see an early evening viewing of "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3". I am a big fan of the original, so I was curious to see this version. I think we all agreed, it was just OK. Travolta chews up the scenery at almost every turn in an over-the-top performance. Denzel was not very charismatic. Tony Scott's direction makes your head spin. And it was a running commentary on technology and TV coverage, etc. The highlight for Jeff and I was when Travolta entered a cab in NYC and we both looked at each other and said, "Cash Cab!".

Today was the 15th anniversary of the OJ chase. Kind of a strange day, my brother and I were headed to Detroit for the opening match of the 1994 World Cup in Detroit. You have to remember he was charged at 1:15 and at 5:25, the cops announced they were looking for him. Radio reports blaring all the way that OJ was a fugitive. By the time we got to our hotel and ordered out, we were able to see the chase live on TV. And we got to hear the famous prank call on CNN ("Robert Higgins", hah!). I'll never forget it.

"That Was A Totally Farcical Call"



Roger Ebert writes about Bill O'Reilly. With delicious video.

OK, I think I would pay to see this type of Steely Dan concert. Wow, an extended run at the Beacon. I have "Aja" pretty much memorized. So, maybe I save the money, play the CD instead and sing along. Or maybe "Gaucho" with "My Rival": "Sure he's a jolly roger. Until he answers for his crime. Yes, I'll match him whim for whim now."

Ah, hell, this is great just for the Michael McDonald "shoes" line:

Pretzel Logic



"I pity the fool who can't follow my directions." I don't have GPS, but Mr. T may make me a convert.

I am the single person who saw "12 Rounds". My Dad makes two. We paid cash, too.

Exercise Yard

The US Open starts tomorrow. Tiger vs. FIGJAM. I'm with Tiger. BTW, Sobel continues to have the best in-round blogs on the majors.

My fantasy team on Friday: #2, #18, #30, #46. Woods, Romero, Watney, Merrick.

Fantasy Golf Announcing



Visitor

3 Down: Baseball's all-time leader with 4,256 hits (8 letters) Answer: Pete Rose

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

us open golf tv schedule
There will be around 155 players participating on this competition. So we have to wait till 21st to know the champion. You can watch US Open Golf Championship 2009 here:us open golf tv schedule-online video

Anonymous said...

speaking of the OJ.you forgot to mention the line from bruno with the OJ reference------------JMK