Sunday, May 10, 2009

I found myself watching some absurd movie on Channel 5 yesterday afternoon. It was called "Abducted". I had mowed the lawn and just finished grilling some burgers when I joined this flick about 30 minutes in. I don't know, this plot is right out of Lifetime (I guess it is), but a warden allows an inmate to escape with the proviso that he kidnaps and then kills the warden's wife.

Of course, when the woman finds out about the plan (the inmate had a tape the warden had made inadvertently while blackmailing him. Yeah, that bad.), she falls in love with the guy and has mad abduction sex with him. Did I forget to say the inmate was framed by his ex-wife and her boyfriend for killing a man who wasn't really dead. Oh, the prosecutorial malfeasance of that case! Anyhow, they go on the run for a while and try to find the "dead" guy.

Now all of that isn't why this movie will be memorable for me. It's this scene they had at the local Western Union-type office. The inmate and warden's wife stroll in and ask the clerk to check on a transfer made two years ago. They had the receipt, but remember the inmate has no ID. The clerk tells them she can't do it, "How do I know you're not dumpster diving for identity theft?" Ooh, cutting.

Then the warden's wife notices the clerk was eyeing a shoe ad. So, she slips her some cash and says, "Nice shoes." The clerk gets the hint and says, "Oh, transfers that big will definitely remain in the system. Here it is." She says the guy's name and then says, "I can get you an address and a drivers license number."

I know, I know. It's only a movie. But the clerk seemed awfully principled on identity theft 30 seconds prior and I get that everyone has their price. But why not just give the name and address, why go with the drivers license number, as well? I wondered if they even read the script. It seemed to go way beyond what a bribed low-level clerk would do. I'm surprised she didn't join them and look for the guy.

Meal of Links

A picture of a men's bathroom in Vancouver.

"1984". The book that killed George Orwell.

The NBA finally admits it. They blew a call. But then do nothing about it.

If David Lynch Directed "Dirty Dancing"



Exercise Yard

The Indians are really bad. Now they have resorted to the inevitable "team meeting". Let's see where they stand at the end of May, but right now, the ship be sinkin'.

Meanwhile, the Cavs are rolling.

Only Tiger Woods can get the headlines, while being 5 shots back

The Bruins are in trouble.

Visitor

None, it's Mother's Day.

No comments: