Saturday, May 30, 2009

Best Friend and I spent Thursday trying to go to a game between the Indians and Rays. It was a day game, where they bus all the kiddies in for some weather schooling. Seriously. Anyhow, we got down to Alesci's for some pregame pops and we knew the rain would get there eventually, so there was no rush to go in.

However, the rain didn't get there as early as I thought it would and by that time we were outside. Then Best Friend spotted one of the oddest sights she's seen Downtown and I had to agree. There was an ice cream truck with music blaring, but it wasn't "Music Box Dancer". Doesn't seem like lots of kids are gonna run out for curbside service. I asked if they had Bomb Pops and the woman, eager to make a sale, said yes! I then told her I really didn't want one, I just wanted to know if they had 'em.

By this time, it was a bit after 1:00 and the game was already through the 4th. Just then, it turned awfully cold and was getting dark. By the time we got back to the bar seats, it was obvious it was going to rain. And it did, it stormed pretty good for a while. Then the rain just wouldn't stop.

Two hours, 40 minutes later, it did stop. Do you know how much you can drink in that amount of time? Just ask us. I mean that's almost the time it takes for the Indians to play 7 innings. Needless to say, weekday Noon games are fun.

Meal of Links

S. and I had lunch yesterday at Vieng's Asian Bistro. Beautiful space inside as they did a great job transforming the old Claddagh. This is part of the group that owns Pad Thai in Hudson, where I have eaten before. This was OK. I had some shrimp cocktail that was fine. We split some sushi rolls that were a lot of rice and pretty pedestrian. The General Tso's was just not spicy enough. She had some Asian dumplings and chicken curry that were better, I think. The Sapporos helped and it was a very nice day on the patio, but I also got a sunburned head. Their new Happy Hour might draw a few more people.

Hudson made the list of the most expensive suburbs to live. Geez, I dunno, I work there but I've never thought it was that much more pricier. Maybe I get all my stuff in Stow, so it makes a difference.

OK, I got 20 on my first pass. You are supposed to name 50 movies.

Favorite local commercials. The Frankie & Johnny Furniture in Nawlins kinda scares me. Top Cleveland ones are still "Garfield 1-2323" from the Aluminum Siding Corporation and the "Big-O" from Lawson's.

Sarah Palin gives the when and where of Stephen Colbert's "Secret" Trip. I guess it's not a secret anymore.

Jay Leno ended his "Tonight Show" on a pretty nice note. Conan takes over on Monday.

Ever wonder why we stare? Wired is there.

Cleveland Guy Takes on TNT

I thought this was well done. I was very disappointed with the TNT crew after Game 5. Too much talk about could LeBron repeat that performance in Game 6 and Game 7, and not enough talk about the Cavs getting it together and winning Game 5. And the pregame was a Mike Brown Bashfest. Very odd.



Exercise Yard

Earlier in the week, the Champions league final was played. That is like the Super Bowl of European soccer. This morning, it was the FA Cup, sort of the March Madness of English soccer. It was 42 Celsius on the pitch at Wembley today. That's about 108 for you and me. I think that's hot.

It was Everton and Chelsea. I like Everton. They have a good coach, David Moyes, and I think they are fun to watch. They scored in the first minute and thought they might pull it off, but Chelsea dominated most of the match following that early surprise.

Chelsea gets a Cup this year, winning 2-1.

Visitor

32 Down: Kofi ____ Annan (4 letters) Answer: Atta (He actually handed out the FA Cup today.)

No comments: