Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Films that make you cry.

My abbreviated list:

When Al Pacino gets his gold shield in "Serpico". I'm a puddle. Every time.

"The Straight Story". Damn that ending when Harry Dean Stanton asks Richard Farnsworth if he rode that thing all the way out there to see him. I think it's David Lynch's only G-rated movie.

Morgan Freeman's journey at the end of "Shawshank Redemption". Comical. I think the next time is the one I'll get through. Never happens. Bordering on triple digits.

"Saving Private Ryan". In the cemetery. "Tell me I'm a good man." Fuck you, Ryan, for makin' me shed tears! You're a bad man for doing that.

"Something For Joey" and "Brian's Song". Two made-for-TV football movies that are gut-wrenching. Most of the other sports movies like "Hoosiers" just give me chills. Although the end of "Pre" is a struggle. God, I loved the real Pre, so that must explain it.

"Heaven Can Wait". When Jack Warden figures it out at the end. Bah!

"In America". Good God, that's an emotional roller coaster.

Geez, I didn't even hit the doc list. But I'm sure that's enough for now.

Meal of Links

This Congresswoman is insane. Please vote her out next time.

The New York Times Magazine has a lengthy interview with President Obama. Today marks 100 days in office. Imagine that, the country has survived.

If ever there was a match for man and music. Steve Earle will do an album of Townes Van Zandt covers. "Pancho and Lefty" was on the EP, but the full album is out in two weeks.

Austin City Limits Festival has announced its lineup. I think it kicks major ass. Keep your eye on Blitzen Trapper. Big time pub going on.

The Hollywood Wax Museum is having an auction tomorrow. I'll take Mr. T, the Seinfeld figures and Ann-Margret!

"Family Guy" gets the James Lipton treatment. For next year.

Exercise Yard

The NFL Draft may go primetime next year. I swear it would be popular at 4 a.m. on a Tuesday if it was shown then. BTW, the Bengals are the 2009 team for HBO's "Hard Knocks".

Visitor

49 Across: Space station astronaut Jemison (3 letters) Answer: Mae

No comments: