Saturday, March 21, 2009

I was at Quicken Loans Arena for a rare Saturday afternoon game with the Cavs. I was there with an old college friend who gave me some choices for games. I told him, "Atlanta", the Hawks having won seven in a row. So, there we were.

We happened to be seated in Loudville. As a matter of fact, I put my seat snobbery away as we were in Row Last. Unfortunately, we were surrounded by Fat Albert to our left and Super Fan to our right. Thankfully, the Cavs were in control from the start and won a game where the game was a lot worse than the score would indicate. But I was able to go to Alesci's fore and aft.

Alesci's? Why, the last time I was there, it was St. Patrick's Day. You may remember St. Patrick's Day. it was one of the bestest March 17ths for weather ever. Upwards of 70 degrees. Unfortunately, I had to work.

But I caught up on drinking as best as I could. I'm pretty sure Best Friend had called me a "lame-o" earlier in the day for not being Downtown. And then, under the spotlight of prosecutorial glare, I admitted U2's new record wasn't very good. I also didn't eat anything. I believe Fun Frank revealed he once drove a car into the Niagara River. And I saw Danny at the end of the day, but did not sing "Danny Boy". And the following day, corned beef that was promised to me was given elsewhere without so much as a warning.

Meal of Links

Matt Taibbi thinks we're fucked. Royally.

One of my favorite movies is "Paris, Texas". I have to see this one again. It's been a while.

Are these people nuts? BTW, after March madness last night, Charlie Rose ran an interview with Natasha Richardson with some prophecy near the end.



Exercise Yard

Every time a lower seed wins in March Madness (a la Cleveland State), I can't help remembering my favorite scene from "Hoosiers".

"Ten Feet"



The first thought after CSU's win last night? "There goes my coat chair."

But what an ass-thumping they put on Wake last night. WF becomes WTF. Typically, when a 13 seed beats a 4, they tend to be tight games or buzzer beaters. But this was as front-running of a game that they could possibly deliver.

Given the opponent and setting, the first half was the best half of basketball they played all season and without doubt, the team's finest hour all year. There were two others this year that were comparable. The first half against Kent and the first half against Loyola.

CSU hit their first three 3-pointers, then hit only three the rest of the game. But the stage was set. Each player who entered the game contributed. Cedric Jackson staying in control. Norris Cole, unflappable as usual. Chris Moore, with CSU rediscovering its high-low game, repeatedly beating the defense down the floor. J'Nathan Bullock with a perfect example of settling into a game, then delivering. George Tandy hustling like I've never seen him. Even Renard Fields, who brain cramped later, drew two offensive fouls. The freshman, Tre Harmon and Jeremy Montgomery delivering solid minutes, as well. As total a team effort as you'll find anywhere.

Don't want to look too critically at the numbers, but CSU hung with Wake on rebounding, with only a 33-32 deficit. 15 assists to Wake's 10. Beautiful floor game with only 6 turnovers. Wake had 18. Wake shot 52% for the game to CSU's 47%. Not too concerned about that number yet, because that was a lot of garbage time last night. Might be the red flag in all of this hoopla, however.

Next up, Arizona tomorrow. The Basket Cats are the team universally derided as not belonging in the tournament. CSU is the lowest seed remaining. And even though it's now a 13-12 matchup, everyone loves the underdog.

Visitor

16 Down: Cuthbert of "24" (6 letters) Answer: Elisha

No comments: