Sunday, February 01, 2009

I saw "The Wrestler" today. And I really liked it. Brutal to watch, at times, both physically and emotionally, but probably Darren Aronofsky's most accessible film. I should know, I paid to see "Pi".

Mickey Rourke was superb, Marisa Tomei has a great butt, and the behind-the-scenes stuff of the wrestling scene was depicted realistically, unlike the spectacle itself. I mean when the crowd starts yelling, "Use His Leg" when an amputee offers his artificial leg as a weapon to one of the combatants during a hardcore match, well, it's pretty true to form. Rourke had several go-for-the-Oscar moments, but his speech to the crowd at the end, about them being his family, was the best for me.

First-time trailers today: "Wolverine", the new Harry Potter and the new Terminator with Christian Bale.

Meal of Links

USA Today has the Super Bowl Ad Meter. Come on, Jason Statham as Frank Martin driving an Audi closed this contest out for me pretty early as the clear winner. Doritos Crystal Ball and CareerBuilder with the co-worker saying, "Hey, Dummy!" made me laugh out loud. And, of course, my weakness for monkeys wearing clothes, was exploited once again in a Super Bowl, this time by Castrol. Will.i.am and Dylan for Pepsi was cool. Other than that, the allegedly heart-tugging Clydesdales have now officially bored me. M.C. Hammer's new career is making fun of the fact he's broke. Or was broke. Chester Cheetoh is now horning in on The Burger King's territory. There were too many movie trailers (Vin Diesel?) and too many car ads that can't compare to "The Transporter". All the ads are on Hulu, which featured Alec Baldwin in their ad.

Michael Phelps smoked the hippy lettuce. So what?

Springsteen talks about everything. And that WalMart idea? Maybe not so good.

Exercise Yard

Super Bowl:

So-so first half. James Harrison's TD.





































Ugly third quarter. But I guess Gary Busey was happy.


















































Fantastic fourth quarter. O-H-I-O.































Donnie Banks has some Snap Judgments.

Visitor

None, it's Super Bowl Sunday.

No comments: