Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day to all.



Think romance. Think Paris. Just a normal drive through Paris 30 years ago. Listen to that Ferrari engine! I'm thinking Frank Martin's Dad is behind the wheel.



Here's the scoop.

Meal of Links

Speaking of All-Stars, Michael Lewis ventures to Houston and finds Shane Battier? Lewis has become one of my favorite writers and delivers the goods again.

Consumers are cutting their spending on food. I visit Marc's now more than ever. For instance, Ken's 8-oz. salad dressing at Marc's today was 98 cents. I had a coupon to buy two and get a dollar off. So, I got 2 bottles for 96 cents. I don't see how Giant Eagle can compete with that. Look at the continuing saga of pop prices. Giant Eagle had some 2-liter prices today at inner-city Dairy Mart prices, while offering "specials" at 3/$4.00. They also raised the 2-liter Giant Eagle brand to 99 cents. Specials were usually at $1 each, while the house brand was at 89 cents for a very long time. Even Marc's is offering more soda at a 4/$5.00 price. I don't visit the warehouse clubs, but that seems more of a luxury than ever to me. But there's always Mickey D's.

Folks are still buying Mardi Gras beads, however. Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Exercise Yard

Randy Moller is a play-by-play guy for the Florida Panthers. He is a treasure trove of pop culture when the Panthers score via the radio audience of Dan LeBatard. The Penguins announcer does something similar but he's from Pittsburgh and just makes up weird phrases on their goals, so there.



I think "I'm a lead farmer!" is my favorite. But I must say, "O-o-o-oh, good for you!" and "We're gonna need a bigger boat!" made me laugh out loud, as well.

Visitor

40 Across: Contemporary of Bela (5 letters) Answer: Boris

No comments: