Saturday, January 03, 2009

I spent the morning with a naked Kate Winslet. Because I went to see "The Reader" out at Crocker Park. For a morning flick, there were actually people there, no doubt cramping my style. Ralph Fiennes is also in one of the lead roles.

Anyhow, while never getting bored with the naked Kate Winslet, I thought I had figured out "The Reader" fairly early and thought it might go on to some inevitable conclusion. Not so fast. The great Bruno Ganz shows up and acts as a conduit to the first of many turns along the way. You know Bruno Ganz. He is the guy playing Hitler in the many Internet parodies that have sprung up in the past couple of years. So, here I am, thinking I am going to see this sort of movie and we end up seeing something completely different. And pretty damn good, to boot.

The old woman in my row said afterward, they should give it the Oscar right now. I'm betting she hasn't seen "Slumdog" yet. Winslet should get some kind of nomination for this and not just from Mr. Skin. Not really a supporting role as I see it, but I can see where they are heading if they go that route.

Meal of Links

After viewing "Frost/Nixon" on Wednesday, I decided to finally check out "Man On Wire" later that evening. Kind of keeping it within that same week of 1974, when Nixon resigned on August 9, two days after Philippe Petit walked between the Twin Towers on a highwire on August 7. This was shown at the Cedar-Lee for about a blink of an eye in August (which I missed) and my interest was rekindled when I saw it arriving on some "Top Ten" lists for the year.

It's a shame there is no film of the event, but the still photos are pretty amazing. You're watching it and you still can't believe it. I thought this doc was well done and it's on Time Warner PPV through March, I think. The DVD is already out, as well.

I failed to post this earlier. But here is the story of that Double Showcase winner on "The Price Is Right".

This is why Eddie Izzard is genius.

Weird things in nature. Yeah, nature can be screwy, at times.

Who updates Wikipedia? It's amazing how fast things can be updated on Wiki. For lightning fast updates, go to Wikipedia after Jim Rome's Smackoff. The winner is posted within seconds. It's scary.

Exercise Yard

While waiting for the Browns to somehow screw up their searches for a new GM and head coach (Mortenson says it's Mangini, Shefter says it's McDaniels!), we got real football teams playing today.

My playoff picks this weekend:

Arizona over Atlanta
Indianapolis over San Diego
Baltimore over Miami
Philadelphia over Minnesota

Visitor

10 Down: Longtime Penn State football coach (7 letters) Answer: Paterno

No comments: