Sunday, December 14, 2008

It seemed all I did today was run around town. Part of which was zipping out to the Cedar-Lee to see "Slumdog Millionaire" and then I had to zip right back to this side of town. Anyhow, to paraphrase Jackie Gleason, the Cedar-Lee audiences are supposed to be the best movie-going audiences in Cleveland. Boy, things are slipping.

This was shown in one of the theaters where the seats are contained in maybe 10-12 rows and the aisles are on either side. And it was almost filled. So, look, you really can't sit in the middle of a row and decide to leave during the movie. The rows are not wide enough and everything in your row gets disrupted. Let alone the people behind you are fucked. That happened twice. I was in row last and there now seems to be an obsession with some people to get a head start on leaving, so these people leave their seats late in the movie and watch the ending while standing in the back. WTF? I hate when people hover and I certainly don't like it in the dark. Checking for texts and messages...folks, that's a no-no. That went on. We even had a phone ring today. I don't even wanna start on the guy who sat down and had cold hands. How did I know that? Because he did the cup hands, blow into them and rub them before the start of the movie. At least five times. It was killin' me. You'd think we were in Antarctica. He was rubbing them so much, if they were sticks, I would have had to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

As for the movie, it's a gem. The movie is about a kid who is a contestant on "Who Wants To be A Millionaire?" (the Indian version). He is not well-schooled, but a survivor of the slums of Bombay, now Mumbai. Anyhow, it shows how he knows the answers on the show by using flashbacks and how those answers were revealed to him and he cashes in on that knowledge. Pretty unique stuff. Subtle comedy, throughout, absolutely hot Indian chick, Freida Pinto, along for the ride, too. Stars no one you know. You won't find another movie like it. Best I've seen all year.

This past weekend at the movies had some new trailers. Got my first look at "The Wrestler" which looks great. "Revolutionary Road"? Leo in a 1950's suit? After seeing him kick ass in "Blood Diamond", I dunno. "Che" also looks like that may be in two parts. Otherwise, that's 4.5 hours of subtitles in one sitting.

Meal of Links

Speaking of hot chicks, you know what I think of Penelope Cruz. Hot, but don't even try speaking English. Absolutely, ruins it for me. However, I have found the ultimate Spanish substitute. I have stumbled upon this show, don't ask me how, on PBS called, "Spain: On The Road Again". Yeah, Mario Batali, Gwyneth Paltrow and Mark Bittman are on it, but I can fast forward them to listen to Claudia Bossols turn a phrase in Spanish or English. She needs to do more work in the States, pronto.

Oh, great. They are now throwing shoes at the guy. "So what if the guy threw a shoe at me?". Once a Vietnam War dodger, now a shoe dodger.

Changes are coming for "Idol". Haven't they figured out that less bad singers = less ratings.

On the Second Day of Christmas...



Exercise Yard

If you thought the Browns had bad play calling, did you catch the end of the Buffalo-New York Jet game? Really, the Buffalo coaching staff needs to be jettisoned after that bonehead call to lose the game. Haven't seen anything that egregious in a long time. Well, maybe a Browns game or two earlier this year.

Utterly indefensible.

Visitor

None on a rainy Sunday.

No comments: