Friday, November 07, 2008

If you thought Barack Obama becoming President was going to tone down racism around these parts, well, I don't think that's happenin' soon. Case in point was before last night's Browns game. I was enjoying my pre-game ritual of Corona Lights when this guy and his wife sidle up to the bar next to Kevin and I, putting Kevin in the middle between us.

I guess this dude felt obligated to chat. Oh, he was a talker. So much so, Kevin had to find other victims as a buffer. He found friends that he knew and gave up his seat to a female, then her and her friend moved on when a table opened up. Then Lisa, who picked out my glasses, showed up and she occupied the chair for a while. I happened to mention Sarah Palin and the dude's ears perked up like a dog.

Let me backtrack a bit. When he sat down, the guy mentioned he was a Cowboy fan. And he was wearing a DuPont NASCAR jacket, so I probably shouldn't stereotype, but you know where this was heading. He went on and on about how he saw the Dallas-Cleveland game and how great the Cowboys are. To the point of annoyance. Then he mentioned the tired line about "Bill Cowher bought a home in Strongsville." This pisses me off to no end, so I called him out on it and challenged him, "He did not. OK, what street is it on?". Of course, he has a trusted friend who knows and blah, blah, blah. Thank you, sports talk radio and you, you Internets.

So, with the rotating seat next to me, he finally started eating and was quiet for a while. I happened to mention Palin. By this time, Lisa and I had our backs to the bar. But I hear the dude ask Lisa if I mentioned Palin. And she said yes. So, the guy turns to us and asks. "Who did you vote for?" and we responded. I told him, "I voted for Obama and, you know, he actually won." He said, "I give Obama credit. I really do. For having half a brain. Because he's half white." Lisa and I just looked at each other and shook our heads and turned around. How could you dignify that with a reply? Not very often that you meet someone and within 20 minutes, they admit to being a racist.

So, there is still much work to be done.

Meal of Links

Everyone hates those Toyota "Saved By Zero" ads. Everyone. Not one person likes them. I've never minded the song, but I wish they hadn't used it though. It'll stick with you.

Is Obama leading the Fourth Republic? Looks like Bush destroyed the third one.

Here is Tina Brown's new venture, The Daily Beast.

Exercise Yard

John Cleese explains the offside rule in soccer. Pay attention!



Visitor

33 Across: Emmy-winning scientist (3 letters) Answer: Nye

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The guy at the bar was half right it is Biden who has half a brain-----------------------------JMK