Saturday, September 13, 2008

I made another trip to the Party Deck with Gale to watch a Clash of the Titans affair at Progressive Field. Of course, the Tribe ended up losing this second game of the doubleheader for a Royals sweep. As you enter, you already feel ripped off as the pitching matchup was Bryan Bullington against Robinson Tejada. Bullington plays for the Cleveland nine, BTW. Ah, September baseball! I pity the fools who were there for Game One and decided to stay for Game Two. It was Grady Sizemore (in a car...WTF?) Bobblehead Night, so maybe those folks stayed for that. KC was so confident starting a reliever, Tejada, that their manager hoped he would go two innings. Two innings! Uh, he threw 2-hit ball for five. Ugh! A rather harmless game to watch as more people seemed interested in the USC-OSU game on the TVs. Anyhow, the Tribe lost, 8-4. I have one game left to go to on Tuesday. For some reason, I'll have seen four September games this year. I am an idiot.

Speaking of Ohio State, I was surprised how easily they were destroyed by Southern Cal. But, once again, it's the lack of complete objectivity by these OSU acolytes that gets to me. After a holding penalty nullified an OSU TD, someone yelled out, "West Coast Referees!". Now, seriously, from what I gathered, both teams were getting flagged all over the place, so I certainly didn't see any bias. Especially when I saw the guy get tackled, not held. And, right before half, with the game already at 21-3, another guy asked if I had seen what happened on a play which USC completed a pass for a first down. "Did you see where the refs marked that ball? He landed at the 11 and he gave them a first down at the 10." Not really caring, I said, "You'll have that."

I know it's tough to criticize the home team (even one that's 110 miles away from here), but the refs didn't game plan for the Bucks, they didn't toss ill-timed interceptions, or fumble, or get blown off the ball in the running game. Face it, they played an awful game. Hey, I'm trying to come to grips with a world where Michigan looks like a 3-8 team. At least Ohio State remains a Big Ten/large bowl game contender. Probably not the BCS title game, but who would have thought they made that last year. Shows how tough it is to get in those games.

Seriously, who else is in the Big Ten race? Wisconsin is probably a keeper. Penn State drilled Syracuse, but then so did Northwestern. Illinois struggled yesterday. Michigan isn't a threat. Iowa? I don't think so. No shame in playing the Rose Bowl, I'd say.

And is Beanie Wells the new Bob Sanders? Shouldn't OSU be stockpiled at these skill positions? Can't believe the dropoff with him out of there, especially with USC running new guy after new guy out of their backfield. I don't follow Ohio State recruiting or every move they make, but that seems noteworthy they don't have an impressive backup at running back.

Meal of Links

Pakistan has the order to kill US invaders. Just in time to piss those folks off.

Rating the films of the Coen Brothers. I think I'd move "Hudsucker Proxy" higher. You know, for the kids.

Amy Winehouse has a birthday tomorrow. Her pre-birthday photos are, um, troubling.

What is up with Canada? They are having another election soon.

Exercise Yard

Your next Olympic sport? How about pole dancing?

Visitor

30 Across: Oscar Zoroaster Diggs of early 1900s fiction with "The" (10 letters) Answer: Wizard of Oz

No comments: