Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Browns play their first tackle football game of the season tomorrow against Dallas. OK, the name on the door says "Cleveland", so I assume if you want to get to the Super Bowl, that means you have to go through us. Rather cocky for a team that hasn't won anything.

I'm from Cleveland, so I've earned the right to be skeptical of any predictions that have the Browns headed to the Super Bowl. I align myself with the Bill Simmons line of thought:

"I'm not a big fan of this formula: Artificially high expectations + too many nationally televised games (five in all) + brutal schedule + too much luck last season (what are the odds of them getting 32 games from Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards again?) + brewing QB controversy + horrible preseason = Yikes."

I look for us to win 7 or 8 games. Anything beyond that will be a bonus. Hey, I plan on enjoying the ride this year, but I'm realistic. Offensively, we are weak at receiver and cannot afford injuries. Last year, we got through the schedule OK. The injuries have already started in preseason this year. Defensively, our linebackers and corners need work.

Let's see if last year was a mirage.

Meal of Links

Seriously, if you have a fear of spiders, do not watch. Very realistic spider crawls across your screen. Space bar feeds him insects.

The 25 Funniest Web Videos. Lots of gems in here. The "Whoo-whoo" Guy, Bill-O Dance Remix, Zombie Kid, Grape Stomper, Elmo and DeNiro, Scary Mary Poppins, the ubiquitous Flea Market Montgomery, Dildo in a Box amongst others.

Mickey Rourke film wins a major award. Huh? Toronto Film Festival is this week, we'll have to see what comes out of there.

Things I've tried recently:

Flat Earth crisps. I tried the Farmland Cheddar variety. A bit salty, but they taste good.

Giant Eagle has these frozen artisan loaves under the Market District label. I had the French Baguettes. Toss them in the oven until golden brown. Great for bigass subs. Excellent value on a BOGO, not so much at regular price.

Corn-on-the cob from Szalay's. I got them at some garden center in Hudson. Best corn I've had in a while. I wouldn't take the train to their market, but hey, it's rather Klaben-like. If it's good enough for the Jonas Brothers, enough said.

Got to be creeped out again tonight '50s style with "Night of the Hunter". Absolutely one of my faves. Mitchum at his finest.

Story of Right Hand/Left Hand



They auctioned off a burnt guitar of one Jimi Hendrix in the UK this past week. This was pre-Monterey as that guitar was just pieces/parts. This one survived in someone's garage all this time. Sold for $480K.

Exercise Yard

What an odd day of watching college football today. East Carolina pasting West Virginia. Ohio actually in the lead late versus Ohio State. Notre Dame looking awful against San Diego State. I had to put on my Miami hat against Michigan, and the alma mater played tough at the Big House. And the refs help BYU beat Washington.

Visitor

59 Across: Sam Peckinpah's last film with "The" (15 letters) Answer: Osterman Weekend Christ, was the puzzle difficult this a.m.

No comments: