Monday, July 21, 2008

I understand it costs a lot of money to produce a sports program. Especially with the Olympics in Beijing. But do you find this trend of not having announcers at the venue disappointing. I thought ESPN should have had someone onsite for Euro 2008 and the broadcasts came off OK, except the match where the thunderstorms knocked it off the air! Seemingly, Plan B was never considered that day.

Anyhow, NBC is not sending over announcers for 10 events on Olympic coverage. They include archery, badminton, baseball, equestrian, fencing, handball, shooting, soccer, softball and tennis. Some basketball games also will be called off monitors in New York. So, do we see these people stand outside of 30 Rock for their intros and follow them back inside for the play-by-play? I realize these are minor events, but why does women's softball (in its last year as an Olympic sport) rate higher than some of these. I'm just askin'.

Meal of Links

Well, it's the end of an era. "At The Movies" (yes, it was still on the air) will not have Richard Roeper anymore. And, of course, Roger Ebert, as well. Cleveland had pretty much given up on this show several years ago, relegating it to odd weekend overnight hours, if at all, on Channel 3. I think the last time I saw the show was on the Reelz cable channel.

I picked up some Frostie Root Beer yesterday. I needed to wash down some Turkish Taffy. Not really, but Frostie is pretty good cold, in a 12-oz. bottle.

Headline from The Onion 39 years ago today. Still amazing today!

Here is the look of the average daily newspaper. Somehow, I thought that Lifestyle/Feature number would be increased a whole lot more.

Exercise Yard

Seems like the University of Iowa athletic department told an alleged rape victim don't report it, we'll investigate in-house. Here we go again. Why these schools continue to mess up is beyond me.

Visitor

54 Across: Barney's Mayberry boss (4 letters) Answer: Andy

No comments: