Thursday, April 03, 2008

While trying to determine if HBO plays "John Adams" in a continuous 24/7 loop....

Aah, parking meters back in the news today. I consider myself somewhat of an expert in the art of parking Downtown, not in lots. My hide is particularly chapped this week, because I had to cough up the 20 bucks and park in the Hanna Garage for Opening Day. So, when I hear there are new meters in town, well, I become a concerned citizen.

It seems the spot they picked for the new installation is good old Franz Pastorius Boulevard. Most people would say, huh? to that. However, I know that this is that street that connects Saint Clair to Lakeside, between Ontario and East 6th, west of Mall B. This is an excellent spot to park for Browns games on Sundays (if you get there really early) and probably a good spot to do county business on a weekday. However, these new meters do not show how much time is left on the meter. So, of course, the city can now double or triple dip on meter payments.

Uh, that's not right. There is no better feeling than moseying up to a meter that has time left on it. And I'm not even talking lots of time. But I've had two-hour meters with over 40 minutes of time left and that's pretty cool, but rare. Sometimes 10 or 15 minutes can make a difference. My other concern is the increase in No Parking areas, which makes access to these meters even more valuable. There are more bagged meters, No Parking zones and valet zones Downtown than ever before. It would be nice if this practice stops, as well.

Meal of Links

Our men's bathroom library at work is notorious for some of the most unhip reading material out there. For some reason, we do have Radar though. A very funny interview with Will Arnett was in this month's issue. The back page is also hilarious once again.

Must see the new Stones movie. Jack White makes an appearance.

There ain't no thing called a gas shortage. Don't believe what you hear.

OK, what could "The Office" spinoff possibly be about? I'm thinking Creed Thoughts. From what I've heard, that's not the case. Totally new characters that would be introduced on an "Office" episode.

U2-"Pride (In the Name of Love)"

It is the 40th anniversary of the death of MLK tomorrow. I'm sure U2 will be blasted over the airwaves. I always liked this Eno-less version of the video.



Exercise Yard

I now have STO in HD. Rick Manning looks 10 years older in HD. And they also need to work on that sound. It rivals Channel 5's HD channel in pukiness.

It was good to see Fenerbahce, coached by Zico, dump Chelsea yesterday in the Champions league. And how can you not like a single-name coach like Zico? Oh, I guess we have Wedgie. But Zico is one of my all-time favorite Brazilians.

You don't see many events from Turkey, but that place was insane. A terrific goal by Deivid for the winner. The Gus Johnson of Turkey with the call.



Visitor

31 Down: Mrs. Addams, to Gomez (4 letters) Answer: Tish

No comments: