Sunday, January 06, 2008

Time to play catch-up:

Kevin really did me a solid yesterday by constructing my new stereo system. Let's face it, my personal motto should be: "Thou shalt not handle power tools.", so when it comes to speaker stands, speaker wire, handling a screwdriver (non-drink variety) anything like that, I'm, uh, what's the word...challenged. You see, I treated myself at the end of this past year to the Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver. Yeah, baby, this thing rocks.
Matched it up with some KEF speakers and, quite frankly, we will wake up the neighbors. I had some cash saved up and found some Internet ("off-the-truck", perhaps?) deals, and went for it. I love it already.

Although it got some minor play, the most interesting story this week (to me), was the cancellation of the Dakar Rally, because of terrorist concerns. Can you imagine a sporting event cancelled like that? It's straight out of soccer. Dakar is the wildest of the auto races in the world and one of my faves, Robby Gordon, seems to have become a regular now. Here's some race background. It's the kind of race that Versus might cover, to give you a hint to its popularity. So, we'll look for it next year.

Everyone is worried about tiger attacks. What about bears?



David Garrard? Running on 4th down? For big yards? Been there. 2005 Jacksonville game. Browns down by six. Just over two minutes left. Third-and-19. Garrard for 28 yards up the middle. Game over. Threw up.

I can't stand Dane Cook for seven minutes, let alone seven hours. I don't get the guy.

Taylor Hicks lost his record deal. The Soul Patrol is in a hole. Oh, God, that show is back soon.

Meal of Links

Here's how to afford anything. Live cheap, it sees to be.

2007 Gadgets. Some were good, some bad, but do you need them? He liked the Chop Wizard. Wow, it's that easy! I saw an infomercial on New Year's for the Sonic Blade and was in awe. I think it could cut through a building. Salsa in 60 seconds! I wonder what happened to the Deion Sanders Hot Dog Express.

Warner Bros. picks Blu-Ray. Next year's self gift: DVD player.

Exercise Yard

The Cavs? The Indians? The Browns? Now, the Cleveland State Vikings? I don't know what's happening, but it's the third consecutive league win at home. And, once again, handily. And they are in first place. Attendance: 2008. Or did they get that from the calendar? In 2 weeks, it's Butler and Valpo at home.

Best line from my brother after a period in which many fouls occurred: "This is like Mad Magazine's version of basketball." Which has everyone awaiting foul shots. Miss. Foul occurs. Walk to other end of floor. Foul shots. Miss. Foul. Walk to other end. Hey, we're old. If you saw it, you'd laugh.

Visitor

None, it's Big Snow Melt Sunday.

No comments: