Saturday, December 08, 2007

Trying to watch Hatton-Mayweather, Jr. via the Internets. Lots of singing. I have my choice of Chinese, Romanian or English. I think I'll choose Lamps. But I had to go the Chinese broadcast because of breakup. Well, Mayweather KO'd Hatton in the 10th round.

In the meantime, here are three places I haven't been to in a while:

Last night, I was at Johnny Mango. I usually get a black bean quesadilla as it serves for dinner that day and lunch the next. Still tastes good to me. I know some consider this place hit-or-miss and it probably is for the most part, but it seemed the staff was all new since I was there last. Plus, there was a butt in every chair at 9:30 and that seemed to be a much better crowd since I last made an appearance.

I was at Dave's Mercado the other night. Yes, the Dave's closest to me caters to our Hispanic friends. I don't know what I expected, maybe salsa music or flamenco dancers or something. Anyhow, I walk in and Creedence's "Bad Moon Rising" is playing. So, I turned into a werewolf. But I continued my investigation, just to see what it was about. Fairly extensive Hispanic section with even a Jamaican subsection, if you like jerk seasoning. They sell Snyder's chips (which the Iggle does not), Land O'Lakes cheese at the deli (which the Iggle does not), and they had Land O'Lakes cocoa at 2/$1.00, a price which I'm not sure the Iggle has had in a while. And they had good donuts. My impression is that was a pretty nice place to shop. Now that was Thursday after 8, and I can't speak to a normal crowded day. Yet.

Last, but not least, I went to Mr. Hero and had a Romanburger. I have not been there in at least a decade and made fun of my brother going there only a few weeks ago. For some reason, I had a hankering for it today. Well, it still tastes the same, but you really can't make a habit of that place, so I'll see how it is next time. In 2015. I will add though that with the addition of "Chef Jim", they have added lots of new things to their menu that I'm sure taste OK, but I'll let others decide that.

Meal of Links

Set aside some time for an interview with Mark Mothersbaugh.

53 places to go in 2008. Detroit made the list.

Late Christmas present idea. The Magna Carta.

Exercise Yard

I kidnapped my Dad today and we went to the Cleveland State game to see them battle the Fighting Penguins of Youngstown State and then forced him to go to Mr. Hero for postgame grub. Of course, we were one of the first 1,000 in attendance and received our Magnus bobbleheads. Good grief.

Anyhow, the first half was the best basketball CSU has played in a long time, and they led 44-24 at the break. WTF? In the second half, it seemed they took the foot off the gas pedal, but still shot 70% in that half, resulting in 64% shooting for the game. Again, I say WTF? Hard to quibble with anything tonight. Defense outstanding, rebounds were up, assists were up, shooting was up. Great way to start league play, with a 77-54 win.

Visitor

25 Down: Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair, 2003-07 (5 letters) Answer: Lugar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's an idea...maybe one of W's wealthy friends (ie CEO of Haliburton, Blackwater, Exxon, etc.) could buy the Magna Carta for him. He could put it in his Presidential Library as a show and tell piece...how many century old concepts my administration can defy because of 9/11.