Thursday, May 17, 2007

What a strange day today. I get my auto registration renewal in the mail today and promptly rip the envelope while opening it, tearing the enclosure in the process. Oops. Is that a bad thing? I have to tape it back together, I guess. Which will cause problems next year, no doubt, because I have to get a new picture on my license. Is it too early to be worried about next year's renewal already?

Then I burned a portion of my dinner. Black beans and rice, 25 minutes on low, like a thousand times before. Not medium, you idiot. Oh, did that smell.

Hey, I've been neglecting this year's Senior Olympics recap. My Dad, once again, a proud participant. Two medals this year. A bronze in bowling (it's in the genes) and a silver in the beanbag toss. That feat consists of tossing a beanbag into a bucket. Off the record, that seems easy to me, but what the hell. That more than makes up for a Potsie Weber-like performance in basketball. Remember the episode where Potsie's shots went over the backboard. I guess he struggled to even hit the backboard. Also, eliminated in shuffleboard, darts, billiards, and the triathlon. The triathlon seemed interesting to me and I asked if the three phases were standing, walking and breathing. No, it consisted of kicking a soccer ball, shooting a hockey puck and in his words "something else".

Anyhow, that performance allowed him to carry the Brooklyn sign (like the real Olympics, except there wasn't a vote from his peers, someone handed it to him) around the room as the medal winners paraded in for lunch. I understand the lunch was good. They feed those seniors well. And Wayne Dawson dropped in as the speaker of the day. So, all was good this May.

Meal of Links

OK, the look on Pammy's face at the end of "The Office" tonight was a nice payoff to finish the season. It looks like the JAM crowd is back on DEFCON 1. "Creed's Thoughts" made me laugh, too. I wish every week was an hour, so we can get more Creed. I love Creed.

They sold a Warhol for $71 million last night. That would buy lots of soup cans.

Elijah Wood is gonna play Iggy Pop in a biopic. OK, that is gonna take one hell of a transformation for me to buy into that one. Mister Frodo with his shirt off, spreading oil and peanut butter over himself and walking like a chicken? I do not see it.

Exercise Yard

I see Paul Shirley's book finally came out this week. He was the journeyman hoops player who started blogging on the Phoenix Suns website two years ago and everyone discovered how insightful he was. He's conversing on Slate this week.

Visitor

4 Down: Major League Baseball Players Association director (4 letters) Answer: Fehr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that "something else" can do you in if you dont practice!! mr. mix

Anonymous said...

Beanbag toss??? That's like corn holing except with someone's bucket, huh? Not sure I would want to win a medal for that!!!
:-) PFS